From: MoPo List [mailto:mop...@listserv.american.edu] On Behalf Of James
Richard
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 12:10 AM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: Re: [MOPO] I think many of us here have been collecting the
wrong titles from the wrong years!

Bruce,

I think your subject says it all: There are now several generations of
younger movie poster collectors to whom "vintage" means the late 1980's.
A 22-year old buying the 2008 poster for GRAN TORINO today would not
have even been born yet in 1986. I think some of the prices you showed
us are absolutely astounding for such recent issues.

I mean, a 2008 GRAN TORINO going for $78.00? Huh? This poster was issued
*last year* fer cryin' out loud and they must have printed up hundreds
of thousands of them for the U.S. market alone. This is an extreme
example, being only a year old, but there were others on your list, some
of them less than 6 years old... many less than 12 which went for well
over $100... some over $200. Honestly, I don't get it, since anyone
could have/can buy as many of these as the want brand new mint when they
first come out for $19 to $29 bucks (a lot less if they have a
wholesaler connection in the film distribution business).

Here's what I don't understand: There must be poster sellers out there
who were able to purchase bulk lots of these posters when the film is
first released. They must have store rooms with palettes of these 1 to
15 year old posters. So how can they be so valuable? I mean, yeah,
people liked the film and want to have a poster of it on the wall, same
as always... but you can still buy most of these posters at places like
www.moviegoods.com -- that exact same Gran Tornio is available there
right now for $29 bucks:

http://www.moviegoods.com/movie_product_static.asp?master_movie_id=39936
<http://www.moviegoods.com/movie_product_static.asp?master_movie_id=3993
6&sku=435705> &sku=435705

What, someone says "yeah, but that's not an original theatrical
release"? How can you tell? How can anyone? They are printed from the
same plates on the same stock by the same printing operation that
printed the "theatrical release". Maybe the person who buys it from
moviegoods knows it is not a theatrical release right now, but in 10
years after the poster from moviegoods has changed hands a couple of
times, who will be able to tell if it was purchased new the day the film
was released or new from moviegoods.com one or two years later?

Am I missing something here? Is there a way to tell the $29 poster from
moviegoods from one which was printed up specifically to be used in a
theater (but probably never saw the inside of theater's lightbox)? If
not, why are people paying so much money for these recent posters? Or is
$100 to $200 not "much money" for this younger generation of collectors?

-- JR

Bruce Hershenson wrote:

I just had 600+ 27" x 40" "newer" one-sheets close (many from the past
few years), and there doesn't seem to be any "recession" in those
titles!

Look at some of the prices realized:

6s585 VIEW TO A KILL int'l 1sh '85 different art of Roger Moore as Bond
007 & Grace Jones! $780.00
6s018 OCEAN'S 11 DS int'l signed 1sh '01 by George Clooney, Matt Damon,
Brad Pitt, & Andy Garcia! $273.00
6s140 CLAN OF THE CAVE BEAR 1sh '86 fantastic image of Daryl Hannah in
cool tribal make up! $238.00
6s466 RESERVOIR DOGS 1sh '92 Quentin Tarantino, Harvey Keitel, Steve
Buscemi, Chris Penn! $209.00
6s352 LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING DS power teaser 1sh
'01 J.R.R. Tolkien  $203.00
6s448 PULP FICTION 1sh '94 Quentin Tarantino, close up of sexy Uma
Thurman smoking in bed! $201.00
6s583 USUAL SUSPECTS 1sh '95 rare Kevin Spacey w/watch on, Bryan Singer
directed thriller!  $186.00
6s582 UNFORGIVEN teaser 1sh '92 classic image of gunslinger Clint
Eastwood with his back turned! $171.00
6s045 AMADEUS 1sh '84 Milos Foreman, Mozart biography, cool artwork!
$151.00
6s126 CASABLANCA 1sh R92 cool Gary Kelley art of Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid
Bergman, Dooley Wilson!  $135.00
6s429 PHANTOM MENACE DS style A teaser 1sh '99 George Lucas, Star Wars
Episode I!  $125.00
6s543 TERMINATOR 1sh '84 super close up of most classic cyborg Arnold
Schwarzenegger with gun!  $119.00
6s320 KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN int'l 1sh '85 really cool artwork of
Sonia Braga in spiderweb dress! $105.00
6s284 INDIANA JONES & THE TEMPLE OF DOOM white style 1sh '84 Drew art of
Ford, Capshaw & Kuy Quan! $96.00
6s512 SOPRANOS TV teaser 1sh '99 James Gandolfini, Lorraine Bracco, HBO!
$88.00
6s239 GOONIES 1sh '85 Josh Brolin, teen adventure classic, Drew Struzan
art!  $85.00
6s491 SID & NANCY foil 1sh '86 Gary Oldman & Chloe Webb, punk rock
classic directed by Alex Cox! $81.00
6s589 WALK THE LINE DS teaser style A 1sh '05 cool artwork of Joaquin
Phoenix as Johnny Cash! $81.00
6s342 LITTLE MERMAID DS teaser 1sh '89 Ariel looks at the stars, Disney
underwater cartoon!  $79.00
6s403 NATIONAL LAMPOON'S CHRISTMAS VACATION DS 1sh '89 Consani art of
Chevy Chase, yule crack up! $79.00
6s159 DAZED & CONFUSED DS 1sh '93 Milla Jovovich, first Matthew
McConaughey, great happy face image! $78.00
6s241 GRAN TORINO DS advance car style 1sh '08 bitter old man Clint
Eastwood w/rifle! $78.00
6s410 NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN DS 1sh '07 Joel & Ethan Coen, Josh Brolin,
Javier Bardem! $77.00
6s128 CASABLANCA video portrait 1sh R92 Humphrey Bogart & Ingrid
Bergman, Michael Curtiz classic! $74.00
6s472 ROCKETEER DS 1sh '91 Disney, really cool John Mattos art of flying
man!  $69.00
6s038 ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD video 1sh R91 Errol Flynn as Robin Hood,
Olivia De Havilland! $68.00
6s073 BATMAN BEGINS DS advance June 15 1sh '05 great image of Christian
Bale carrying Katie Holmes!  $66.00
6s349 LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING DS advance statue
1sh '01 J.R.R. Tolkien  $66.00
6s062 ATTACK OF THE CLONES DS IMAX style A 1sh '02 Star Wars, really
cool art of Yoda by McMacken! $64.00
6s511 SOPRANOS TV advance 1sh '99 James Gandolfini, the people that
redefined family are back! $64.00
6s184 EDWARD SCISSORHANDS DS 1sh '90 Tim Burton directed, Johnny Depp
classic!  $63.00
6s248 GRINDHOUSE DS advance 1sh '07 Rodriguez & Tarantino, Planet Terror
& Death Proof!  $63.00
6s290 IRON GIANT DS advance 1sh '99 animated modern classic, cool
cartoon robot image!  $63.00
6s376 MILLER'S CROSSING DS advance 1sh '89 Coen Brothers, Gabriel Byrne,
John Turturro!  $63.00
6s476 RULES OF ATTRACTION int'l 1sh '02 wacky images of stuffed animals
in compromising positions!  $63.00
6s188 ENDLESS SUMMER 2 DS 1sh '94 great image of surfers with boards on
the beach at sunset!  $62.00
6s283 INDIANA JONES & THE TEMPLE OF DOOM 1sh '84 full-length art of
Harrison Ford by Bruce Wolfe! $61.00

To see all the prices (with images and condition grade and user IDs,
because (unlike eBay and Heritage) we don't hide them, go to:
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/sort/4/mode/0/16.html

Here all these years I have been collecting on classics from the 1920s,
1930s and 1940s. Obviously I should have used those to wrap fish, and
instead collected current posters!

Bruce
Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at www.filmfan.com