From: "Smith, Grey - 1367" <gre...@ha.com>
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:39:32 PM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Underlying cause of these fake horror cards and posters

Look, this is limited at this time to high end horror material, only, that I am
aware of! Sean mentions sci-fi, but I am unaware of that as have not seen any
of that material nor heard of it being sold.
I believe I was the first to uncover this scam independently, about three
months ago when I was consigned a Dracula title card reproduction pretty
skillfully done.
I knew from handling it immediately that there was something wrong with the
card and as I examined it, became very aware that it was a forgery.
I contacted the consignor who then contacted the person he bought it from, etc.
Since that time I have had at least a 15 to 20 items sent to me to examine
which I have found to be forgeries. Again, all from high end horror titles.
This includes one sheets, lobbies, window cards, inserts and half sheets.
Is there reason to be afraid of forgeries running rampant in the hobby? Not at
all. This has been halted in its tracks at this time and the real problem now
is determining who bought these and where they are. I feel sure a number will
end up at my door at some point and I will be the one to have to break the bad
news.
Sean has mentioned in his post the only people at this time that we are aware
of that have allegedly sold these.