Hello Everyone,

     I'm coming  in after reading all the posts this morning in regards to my
post yesterday about de-backing window cards during restoration. Diane has a
very valid point as to why this is necessary. The backing is very acidic and
has often caused degradation to the card. The poster part of the card has been
mounted to the cardstock. Much in the same way many of us use to mount our
posters to mounting boards to get the fold lines out. That is the way a framer,
even today, mounts a poster before they frame it. Typically, it is understood
nowadays that you never mount a collectable at all. There are, however, many
customers that want them mounted. Believe me, I try to dissuade them, but they
are convinced that there poster isn't worth that much and they don't like the
fold lines, wrinkles, etc. Many framers just mount as a routine. If I am forced
to mount a movie poster, I do at least use acid free backing and a material
that is reversible in case future value dictates removal and linenbacking.

    I continually get posters that were framed, often years ago, in glass and
mounted to some kind of board. The posters have risen in value and need to be
removed from that board as it is typically not acid free and has caused the
poster to degrade. There is a mounting release fluid that can be used, but in
most cases for me, I give it to Sylvia and she removed it and then linenbacks
it. So, that process is no different really than taking the window card apart.
The fact is the backing material in both cases is very detrimental to the
actual artwork of the poster and needs to be replaced with something acid free.
This is done with museum pieces all the time that have been glued to some sort
of backing, often masonite or chip board which was common in the past. It's no
different than mounting it to cardboard. It is all loaded with acid and causes
extreme yellowing and brittlization as it depletes the item of any moisture or
suppleness it might have had. So, thought I would throw that in from a framer's
standpoint.

Sue