*Claude,*

*First of all, I'm not advocating eliminating sniper programs... it is great that they keep one's maximum bid secret, even from the auction house and it is great that they mean I can keep bidding automatically as the auction is ending when I can't be at my computer.*

*The only thing extended bidding times at Heritage would do would be to prevent the behind the scenes, last micro-second ambush where the other bidders don't have an opportunity to try to try to outbid the last bid. Which is *exactly* how live floor auctions work -- do you have a problem bidding in live floor auctions? They *all* have "extended bidding time" where the guy holding the gavel says "I now have $5,000... do I hear $5,200? No? $5,200 anyone? Going once at $5,200... going twice.." etc. If you don't have a problem with live auctions which have extended bidding times, why should you be so adamant about internet auction having the same thing?
*

*Whether the other bidders can win if it happens to be you they are bidding against is immaterial -- the other bidders should still have the option to try.*

*And besides, if you keep your promise that you will never place a high maximum on an extended time auction... wait... doesn't that means that in those cases we actually do stand a chance of winning, even against you (if you keep that promise)?
*

*-- JR*

Claude Litton wrote:
*What is the point of you seeing a bid in the last few seconds if you cannot outbid me (as you stated). There isn't a single poster that I cannot buy so if I want it I can bid with an outrageous price and you cannot beat me. For example: If a poster has a value around $4,000 to $5,000 based on rarity and recent sales, what good does it do you if I place a snipe bid of $10,000? You are tilting at windmills.* ** *There was a poster I wanted a while ago with a value of $5,000 based on previous sales and similar titles by the same actor. I placed a snipe bid of $15,000. So what does the knowledge of being beaten every time you place an extended bid do you? You can't win. There can only be one winner and these weekly auctions have to end sometime. * ** *The most important factor here is this. I will not under any circumstances place a very high bid in an extended format so the loser is the seller. I do not want anyone to know what I am willing to pay for a poster. Sniping is the only way to go.* ** *CJL* In a message dated 9/28/2009 5:33:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jrl...@mediabearonline.com writes:

    Todd (and others opposed to 1 or 2 minute extended bidding times),

    This is an example where modern technology has corrupted our
    cultural philosophy. Letting the sniper programs battle it out in
    the last micro-seconds behind the scenes where no one can see what
    is going on is just fine if you don't care about the concept of
    public auctions being a level playing field where everyone bidding
    has the opportunity to keep bidding after a higher bid has trumped
    their own. But that is exactly how things are done at live
    auctions. Why shouldn't it work that way for internet auctions?
    Just because Ebay never did it that way?

    I *like* sniper programs and use them. I do agree that it is a
    good thing if the auction house cannot see your maximum bid -- no
    temptation, no potential conflict of interest and no foul. That's
    one of the big positive aspects of sniping programs. And, as you
    say, it's great that you don't have to sit at the computer with
    your fingers glued to the mouse counting down those last seconds.

    But we all know that one's theoretical "maximum bid" is not always
    writ in stone. Have you never adjusted your maximum snipe bid as
    the auction was nearing its close and you saw how the bidding was
    going and decided that maybe your original maximum might not be
    quite enough? I certainly have.

    If someone has enough money to place extremely high maximum sniper
    bids on anything they want and so virtually guarantee they will
    win 99% of what they bid on... well that's very nice for them,
    isn't it? But most of us -- even those who do use sniper programs
    like myself -- don't have that luxury and we should be able to see
    what the last bid is and decide (quickly) if we want to try to
    outbid or not. Fair is fair.

    -- JR

    Todd Spoor wrote:

    To All,

    I really don't see the point of extended bidding, if you put in
    the MAXIMUM you want to spend in the first place, if you get
    outbid in the last second, so what, you weren't going to spend
    more than that anyways!!! Sniping is a great way to enter a
    Maximum bid and NOT have to watch the auction especially if it
    closes at an odd time or if you are at work. I win 99% of every
    auction I bid because of sniping plus the AUCTION HOUSE can not
    see my maximum bid!!!

    Todd Spoor