heres a basic PRIMER in repos to start.. a opinion only Not a end all answer...

1.) most posters repoed were large desired titles or hits or extremely cult titles

2.) most reproduced titles in one sheet were under 27 x 41 however a few were 27 x41 but most are like
26 x 39 or 27 x 40 because the large presses were for large runs.

3>) pre 80s paper stocks were either only shiney coated stockes on one side and pre 60s and 70s the paper stock was less weight thiner and in 20-30-40s the pare was a heavy rag content mostly and Flat non coated paper

4.) all poster were printed on Litho process that uses 4-6 color plates and each color was printed with Dots as the art was screened You can see the dots with a magnifier like a jewlers Loop . If its a Giclee or computer printed repro there will not be the screen dots however the paper also is differant on the computer paper..

5.) markins like national screen and union Bug where also printed on many repos so that does not always help.

Its size, papare stock, type of printing, a feel of the texture of the time period and experiance with handling posters over the years.. sounds funny however certain years seemedto ahve certain paper weghts and stocks. In 80s and 90s studios went nutz and spared no expence and had all kinds of hotstamped and varnished whats is called aquaos coated UV inks ( like a clear coat) and othe treaatments

best suggestion is get with like international paper company and learn Paper.. then get with the printing industry and learn Printing.. then understand the distribution of Movie poster history.

How it worked in the Old days was that the studios Jobbed out the posters to Numerous Printers due to cost, demographics and press availibility... the printers were in Midwest, east coast, and west coast primamerily

the studios sent the poster to National screen that also had hubs across USA and also to theatre chains and the studio publicity dept and to people like me that were hired to hang posters up in big citys on old buildings
and in public view..
The posters then were also sold to dealers out the back door by employees of studios and the network then traded amounts the network of dealers... say Louis in Phoenix got 100 batman and joe in chicago got 100 superman they would trade 50 each and broaden the inventory for each to sell to small dealer that wanted 5.... hense the posters from all over criscrossed and ended up at all parts of Usa and even overseas..

The repos enetered the market through same dealers and soon the printers started to amke copies that were better than originals due to digital printing... the Fuzzy ones were when lith was used because they would poorly shoot off the originals and get genetaion loss of detail and whats called moirie( sp) effect by the screen dots distorting.. from 2nd generation blurring The new poster can be copied because of all the tweaking there is no loss.... also the process can be done one at a time now where in old days you needed plates and a run to justify the poster. te common reprints were from several companyss in 60s - 80ss that printed repos like portal... when they started they used a flat paper that looks old however they clearly marked them and dated by the copyright dates however people think its the origin of the poster date... Its not and always gets me calls that someone has a original dracula or frankenstein... because people unless they have felt and been around the original paper dont seem to understand a origimal from a repo.... I suggest Look at old posters..You will see a color a look and feel that the repos dont have... Now maybe the recently recreated posters from vegas have the feel and look and all because they were purported to be printed on metal zinc plates close to the stone litho process...

the stone lithos have the telltale stone matrix like the picked up textuture of the stone matrix slab.. as it was a engraved by acid rock slab that was used to prnt the posters...

Other proceses weer screen printing that has a strong amount of ink layed on versus the litho process..

wow I just relized there are some many aspects to review on pre 80s posters... But its possible.

the cardstock or vellum poster stock again is a paper and printing question..

In recent years the masterprints by David Graveen were done in small size. I think Bruce sells them.. they are in a smaller size and are on new paper stock.. with computers now any poster can be repoed..

However any dealer with experiance should be able to spot the recent repos....

I would love to be tested by someon on mopo to see if I know my stuff and would love to reveiew a collection and see if I could be stumpted..

believe it or not.. I smell the paper , feel it and consider textures and ink and subtle things that probably get passed over by many.... the density, paper content,, many things...

perhaps I could be fooled....?? on the 80s and over its hard because the paper was all basically the same and

even the studios reprinted at differannt times with differant inks and papers....

buy movie posters wrote:

can someone who is knowledgeable on the subject explain how to identify a real from a fake? i see collections for sale all the time but hesitate to buy because i do not know what to look for. repos are everywhere which makes it easy to get burned. please help and many thanks.

what to look for?
markings or writing?
sizes?
clarity?