Each of those honorees was most deserving; thanks for spreading the word.

  Richard

Richard Del Belso

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 10:06:41 -0500
From: flixs...@aol.com
Subject: [MOPO] OT Roger Corman
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU

Well good grief,  yes  Roger Corman who ushered in films directed at young
boomers and then those boomer's kids (something approaching a jaw-dropping 300
plus films) but whose legacy lies truly in the directors he gave their first
leg up Coppola,  Scorsese, Bogdonavich, De Palma, Howard, and more   got an
honorary Oscar. .........but c'mon  I think the real news is the legendary
Lauren Bacall and the truly great Gordon Willis  received  honorary Oscars as
well.   Like Barbara Stanwyck and Deborah Kerr, it astounds me she never
received an Oscar.   So I think  a round of whistles for Ms. Bacall,  and we
all know how to whistle just put your lips together.....  As for Mr. Willis
groundbreaking photography  for the Godfather Trilogy and films for Woody Allen
including Manhattan and Zelig will stand the test time long after we have sold
or last poster from one of his films.

This was actually big news here in Los Angeles because this was the first time
the Academy orchestrated a separate ceremony to honor these greats (also the
rarely awarded Irving G. Thalberg Award was given to John Calley whose health
precluded him from attending  who has produced such classics from The Loved One
and The Cincinnati Kid, early in his career to Catch 22,  Remains Of The Day
and of late The Da Vinci Code/Angels and Demons and one of the nicest and
beloved leaders in the industry due also in no small part his years of
executive work at various studios) so that the appropriate amount of time could
be devoted to each and every one as opposed to being shoe-horned in that
behemoth  of a televised ceremony.  The dinner hosted by the Board of Governors
of the Academy in the ballroom of the Kodak Theatre was as close to a whose
who, platinum crowd of luminaries that proved both joyous and emotional for all
who attended. Yes, snippets will be shown during next years broadcast.

freeman
Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at www.filmfan.com