Kevin,

An interesting question, but there's just no way to know. For starters... the $7,800 card sold by Heritage several years ago -- much restoration did that one have? How much was disclosed to the buyer prior to the final bidding? As we've been discussing here with other posters, there is no such thing as a "retail price" for *any* vintage poster. Take two posters, identical in every way, and one might sell for $159 one week and the other for $580 the next week. The best we can do is come up with a vague range of realized prices from past auctions and say "it could go for something in this range". But it might go for a lot more if there are several people bidding for it who really want it, or it might go for less if from some reason there is no one terribly interested at the particular time it goes on the market.

This #5 lobby card from Wizard of Oz is so desirable that, if restored, it will go for a lot. This particular restoration would be mostly limited to repairing the areas where someone stupidly scrawled pencil marks (and then someone else stupidly attempted to use a rubber eraser to remove those pencil marks). That amounts to about 5% of the total image area of the card. If done by a real pro so that you couldn't really tell any difference between the restored and unrestored parts of the image, then the seller could honestly say "card with slight restoration" (5% of the total image area is not a lot after all). And so it could easily go for $6,000 to 7,000 or more.

Whomever bought this card made a shrewd buy. It would be expensive to restore that 5% to near-perfection... I dunno, what Dario? Maybe $1,500 bucks? But considering what the card would be worth after the restoration was done, it's still an incredible bargain, assuming it is an authentic card.

By the way, I consider this type of restoration to be perfectly appropriate and a valuable service to the hobby. To restore something this marvelous which has been defaced is worthwhile and honorable. That's what restoration should be used for -- not to recreate whole posters from a tiny scrap of original paper or to over paint 50% or more of the image area just to "pump up the colors." But putting this Wizard of Oz card back into shape? I got not problem with that.

-- JR

Kevin Conway wrote:
This card sodl tonight for $517, the same card that in NM-Mint condition sold at Heritage for $7800 couple years ago. Obviously this one is in need of serious restoration, with several long heavy eraser marks, red pencil in the image (both Garland and Bolger faces).
My question is, with all the required restoration in the image area, what would this card
expect to sell for IF such restoration was disclosed?   I've only been doing this for 29
years (not as long as James' 44 years) and I may get flamed for this, but I've done
business with too many sellers/dealers who DON'T reveal such restoration.  SO, I guess
the better question IS "what would an HONEST dealer get for this"?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350283138186&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Kevin Conway
Conway's Vintage Treasures
www.CVTreasures.com