  From: Kirby McDaniel
  To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
  Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 7:19 AM
  Subject: Re: [MOPO] Woodstock Poster - Internet Movie Poster Awards Gallery

  Hi, Steve,

  I spent an hour pinging around on the Internet to see if I could find some
evidence that this
  was a poster that Warners used in 1970.  I could not.

  The photographic style that was the general-use poster has been attributed to
Richard Amsel, but the campaign
  is credited to Bill Gold.  The poster Dave has does not read like a teaser,
so to assume it was a 1970 poster would
  position it like a "style B" or whatever.  I don't ever remember seeing it at
the time used in theaters.  And I would
  have noticed it because this film - like Yellow Submarine - was like
Christmas Morning to a kid enamored with rock
  music and the counterculture.

  The teaser that was used - at least the one that was used widely - was the
concert-goers on the hood of the car.
  The Kinekor poster is South African -- but that's not the poster that Dave
has.

  Here is my very intuitive sense of it.  If this was a 1970 WOODSTOCK film
poster, we would know it by now.
  How's that for fuzzy?

  Kirby