Maybe in some markets the reprints helped with the resale value of the EC sci-fi and horror titles for a little while, but in the long run it took the wind out of the, um, sails. Sure, having an original is great, but when you could buy a virtually look-and-feel-alike repro, well, it's not like a poster where you hang it on your wall and people say "ooooh... that's a cool poster..." and you casually mention "Oh yeah, that's an original 1959 theater poster..." A comic book lives on a shelf or in a box and nobody but you ever sees it. So rather than save up their pennies to buy originals at high prices, the newer collectors simply opted for the reprints and the market for originals got pretty weak unless you were willing to sell for 40 cents on the dollar.

When the time came that I wanted to cash in my complete run of grade C8 and above EC sci-fi and horror collection, I couldn't get any decent offers, either from private collectors or dealers... I even went to NYC on a business trip and shopped them around to several of the stores in town. Sure, they wanted to buy them, but not for anything like what I thought they were worth (or had paid for them 10 years earlier). Everyone I always talked to cited the reprints as the reason they were only willing to pay what they were offering. Naturally, I didn't sell and a year later I took a vacation out to my old stomping grounds in San Francisco and finally located a shop where the owner was a big EC fan and building a collection of his own. He offered me 75% of what I had paid and I took the deal.

That was the end of my stint in comic books (except I still have all of my DR.STRANGE issues).

-- JR

Richard Halegua Comic Art wrote:
yes indeed the original reprints of ECs were great books. They did more to popularize ECs at first and for 2-4 years after the reprints came out ECs were one of the most popular runs to collectors.... what was that 1972 or so Bruce??