What a lovely post, Sue. You made us all feel just how powerful and meaningful
the Super Bowl win really is.

  Richard

Richard Del Belso

Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 13:21:30 -0600
From: s...@learnaboutmovieposters.com
Subject: Re: [MOPO] OT TO: JOE, MARTY, ED AND SUE
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU

There are very few times when I'm left without words -- Ed can attest to that.
But watching the game last night, surrounded by my family, I could not find
words to express my feelings.  Our two grown children decided to watch the game
with me because they didn't know what I'd do if we won.  I'm afraid I probably
disappointed them -- I think they were waiting for my head to spin around or
something:)

Only a fellow "who dat" can really appreciate what this means for this area.
Everyone has heard all of the Hurricane Katrina comparisons.  But no one talks
about the other time in our history the Saints helped with rebuilding.  The New
Orleans area took an almost direct hit from Hurricane Betsy in September of
1965.  While the flooding was not as widespread as it was in Katrina, it was
still devastating, particularly for the Ninth Ward, the Gentilly and the West
Bank areas.  Betsy was the first "billion dollar" hurricane -- and that was in
1965 without inflation adjustments.  During early 1966, there was talk of this
area getting its own professional football team.  Just like with Katrina, many
people were asking how we could be talking about a football team when the city
was still in recovery.  But many others felt that a new organization could help
with not only the rebuilding, but the racial tension that had been brewing
under the new intergration movement.  On November 1st, 1966 (All Saints Day),
we were granted a franchise that would soon become part of the very fiber of
this area.  That love affair has continued for 43 years -- through the good and
the bad.

For me personally, it has been way too long of a wait.  I had the great fortune
to be at the very first Saints football game in 1967.  I was thirteen years old
and remember it like it was yesterday.  This win is somewhat bittersweet -- I
remember my Dad and other family and friends who waited for years for this but
are no longer here.  I can only hope that there was a big screen in heaven!

And Kirby -- you will never understand just how much we appreciated your
kindness during our stay in Austin.

THE NEW ORLEANS SAINTS ARE THE SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!  Sorry but I have to keep
repeating it.  Hopefully, in the not too distant future, I'll actually BELIEVE
IT!

Sue
LearnAboutMoviePosters.com