From: MoPo List [mailto:mop...@listserv.american.edu] On Behalf Of Kirby
McDaniel
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2010 11:18 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: [MOPO] AVATAR

Here's my reaction.

I finally saw it.

Spectacularly realized.  Doesn't lag much.  Screenwriting is a little
stilted at times while trying to explain things to audience 8 to 80, but
that's quibbling.
Gorgeous in 3D on the full IMAX screen.  3D is some of the best I've ever
seen in that
it seems to be "of a piece" with the film after a while.  Very beautiful to
look at.
Reminded me at various times of aspects of other films - LAWRENCE OF ARABIA,
ALIENS, of course, THE STAR WARS stuff, naturally, although without the
Flash
Gordon cornball factor, especially RETURN OF THE JEDI with it's scenes of
the ewoks.
And BAMBI of all things -- I was looking at some of the color in the Disney
animation the other day, and some of the same coloration and tone in AVATAR.
So huge in its palette that one just simply has to hand it to James Cameron
- he
must be some kind of superman.  The film is laden with messages, but it's
all
stuff I can pretty much get behind.  What surprised me was how touching
it was at times.

Oh yeah, really cute people.  And they're blue.  It's not easy being blue.

Kirby McDaniel
MovieArt Original Film Posters
P.O. Box 4419
Austin TX 78765-4419