From: Bruce Hershenson <brucehershen...@gmail.com>
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Tue, 23 February, 2010 11:03:23 AM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] superman action comics #1 sells for one million dollars

P.S. Just like stock market and real estate bubbles, million dollar
collectibles are best explained by the "greater fool theory".

From Wikipedia: "The greater fool theory (sometimes the bigger fool theory,
also called survivor investing) is the belief held by one who makes a
questionable investment, with the assumption that they will be able to sell it
later to "a bigger fool"; in other words, buying something not because you
believe that it is worth the price, but rather because you believe that you
will be able to sell it to someone else for an even better price.[1]
It is similar in concept to the Keynesian beauty contest principle of stock
investing.
Some consider it a valid method of making money in the stock market,
particularly momentum investors; however, fundamental investors believe that
market participants eventually realize that the price level is too outrageous
(too high or too low) and the speculative bubble pops. The greater fool theory
relies on market optimism and market momentum concerning a particular stock, an
industry, or the market as a whole.
The opposite of the greater fool theory is value investing, or contrarian
investing, which tries to discount, or even actively go against, the prevailing
market psychology. Value investors such as Warren Buffett believe that it is
corporate profits which are the normal returns from stock investments and any
higher return is possible only due to the bigger fool theory."
So as long as there is an even GREATER fool to pay this guy TWO million dollars
a few years from now, then he made a "smart investment".
Bruce

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Bruce Hershenson <brucehershen...@gmail.com>