I liked Crash, but found it slightly less satisfying remake of Grand Canyon.

Regards

DBT

 <http://www.linkedin.com/in/douglasbtaylor> Profile

From: MoPo List [mailto:mop...@listserv.american.edu] On Behalf Of Franc
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 5:28 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Best Picture Oscars and others

Richard -- I agree with part of what you said in connection with both DWW
and Crash as follows:

"Awards are not entirely accomplishment based. They are frequently an
emotional response by the members of the Academy who are unable to
compartmentalize their emotions from their intellect, and so you get results
that are not necessarily in line with truly award-caliber films." (RH)

Both DWW and Crash were films with worthy intentions and in my opinion poor
executions. The dialogue in Crash is ridiculous.  Race is a tricky subject.
People don't really talk about race --- it's all in the subtext. That's why
the expression "You lie" screamed out by Joe Wilson during a joint session
of Congress meant a lot more than just those two words. In Crash the subject
of race was all in the text and this made the dialogue and the characters
totally unbelievable. DWW won the Oscar because a) Kevin Cosner was the
darling of Hollywood at the time and b) it was time for an "honest" film
about Native Americans even if this one was bombastic and simplistic in its
treatment of Native Americans.

But here we are talking about movies, when the subject was movie posters and
what they're worth today. Posters for the above two films are worth nothing
and if you doubt that, just check a database (Heritage's for instance) to
see what they fetch.

FRANC