Phil,

Nah. I think the reason some people (like me) are "angry" about it is because every other contender that year was far more deserving of best picture and ENGLISH PATIENT was so very boring that it getting the award was even more of an affront than usual. No way was this a "better" film than FARGO, SHINE or even JERRY McGUIRE... or even SECRETS AND LIES, if you want compare chick flicks head to head: Rotten Tomatoes rates SECRETS at 94% while PATIENT gets 82%.

Plus, it did not just win best picture. It also won:

   * Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Juliette Binoche (beating out
     Lauren Bacall for THE MIRROR HAS TWO FACES/? Please...)/
   * Best Art Direction-Set Decoration (Stuart Craig and Stephanie
     McMillan)
   * Best Cinematography (John Seale)
   * Best Costume Design (Ann Roth)
   * Best Director (Anthony Minghella)(the thing was "directed" in the
     same way paint drying on a wall is directed...)
   * Best Film Editing (Walter Murch)(you're kidding... someone
     actually claims to have edited that film?! It was almost 3 hours
     long, with only enough real material for a 30 minute short! It
     looked like they used every scrap of film they shot, regardless of
     if it was even vaguely interesting or pertinent to anything).
   * Best Original Score (Gabriel Yared)(who can recall a single note
     of the music to this thing? I couldn't five minutes after walking
     out of the theater.)
   * Best Sound (Walter Murch, Mark Berger, David Parker, and
     Christopher Newman)

...normally, up until 1996 at least, this kind of big sweep only went to a truly deserving film. So, with such a massive Academy "seal of approval", many people (like myself) who would never have bothered to see the film were "tricked" into going to see it. We (I) got stuck for cost of the tickets and sitting through almost 3 hours of truly painful boredom. Yeah, you bet I was "angry" and retain that reaction to this day. But only because all those awards were so clearly undeserved -- not because it pushed any buttons (other than the snooze button).

As I mentioned, I was so angry about it that I concluded the Oscars had become the equivalent of a high school student body election -- and so stopped watching the Awards Show and have not paid much much attention to who wins what since then.

-- JR

Phil Edwards wrote:
The English Patient is one of those movies that people either love or hate, not much in between.
I'm in the former category.
At the time, and over the years since, I've noticed that people who hate it also seem to be angry about it. Very odd, really. It is only a movie after all, unless for some people at least it perhaps presses some buttons
they would rather not have pushed.
Phil