I find it interesting how many collectors state that they don't like linen
backing.  But I've noticed that most high cost posters in auctions are backed.
So why is that, if most buyers don't want the backing?  You see it all the time
in the descriptions of these auctions "poster was in excellent condition before
backing".

One thing that has to be considered with older posters, they are printed on
paper that is high in acid content.  Eventually the poster will become brittle
and yellow.  I've had a few posters backed just because they were literary
falling apart because of this very reason.
Personally I only linen back the posters that need work.  I couldn't afford to
have all the posters in my collection back even if I wanted to.
I certainly wouldn't let the fact that a poster is backed keep me from buying
it.

As far as framing a one sheet, I wouldn't think there would be any problem
doing that un-backed.  You're just going to see the fold lines in the poster.
Now framing an un-backed three sheet would be more difficult.  Especially if
its in three pieces.  But I'm sure a professional framer could handle it with
no problem.
John W