yes, but this presumes the hair was not actually damage to the films - like a scratch - which would reproduce the hairy belt again however, it's also possible some other defect would appear, like maybe Luke would have a hunchback, or Leia would be drooling at Luke's package

At 06:33 PM 7/28/2010, JOHN REID Vintage Movie Memorabilia wrote:
"In the case of the hairy belt poster, I think they had access to the films, a hair got on the films during the process from film to plate"

If this happened and they still had the films could they do another print run without the "hairy belt" making the reprinted posters virtually the same as the originals?

----- Original Message -----
From: <mailto:sa...@comic-art.com>Richard Halegua Comic Art
To: <mailto:MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 10:35 AM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] The plot thickens! Adams heirs skeptical about lost negatives claim

As the story was spun at the time by whoever was behind it, the infamous hairy belt STAR WARS one sheet was "made from the original plates".... therefor making them "er, original".

I always wonder what people mean, including my friend Dave, when they refer to this statement

do they mean to imply that the copper plates were - unlike any other title and unlike any other printing business operation - kept in storage for later use?

well there are problems with this belief

1) plates like those were routinely destroyed for the metal to be recycled for other projects, plus getting such plates made in most cases entails a contract (or purchase order) whereby there is a credit for returning the plates that is usually a little on the high side

2) plates wear down during use. The first poster printed has greater detail than the last poster printed. for this reason, printers do not see a use in "old plates" seeing as new plates can be easily made from the "films"

3) and here is the rub - what printers would keep would be the "films" aka the color separations, because these are what is needed to make new plates, and they fit inside a simple folder in a filing cabinet along with thousands of others, whereas to keep the plates would require a warehouse storage solely for keeping printing plates

my opinion and said from someone with a detailed knowledge and experience in the printing field:

I think that most bootlegs are copies made from a new set of plates made from the original films, or high quality reproductions made from the posters

In the case of the hairy belt poster, I think they had access to the films, a hair got on the films during the process from film to plate in the case of the Style-C, I think that's a copy, which is why the printing quality is not nearly as good as an original
Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at www.filmfan.com