From: Sean Linkenback
Sent: Oct 11, 2010 2:48 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: Re: [MOPO] mpgrading

Adrian,
most of the grading services will say that the increased fee for the more expensive item is to handle the increased insurance costs when keeping an item of extraordinary value at their facilities.

My question regarding a Frankenstein one-sheet that the chap in your example has - what is the point in grading a Frankenstein one-sheet?
Is this an item that the six collectors who own one are looking to upgrade if they get a chance, or is there a potential buyer who might be eyeing one but says "ohhhh, your Frankenstein one-sheet is only in 7.0 condition?  Sorry old boy, if it was a 7.5 I'd be a buyer for sure, but I just can't allow one in that condition into my collection so I'll hold out for a nicer one."

I like the concept of authenticating, but grading without some measure to insure the grade is nearly worthless (in my initial thoughts, I will reserve the right to change my mind).  This is why stamps, coins, cards, comics, etc get encapsulated so that there is some degree of preservation of the item in the condition it was graded.
If I bring a graded poster to Cinevent, and then you, me, and a couple of other people look at it - there is a good chance that it already is in a different grade than what the certificate/tag says.  Or there would be enough doubt that you wouldn't care what grade the certificate says since there is no standard of care/preservation applied to the item since grading.

Sean