it depends on where you stand Bruce. I'm sure ebay is calling it "Maximizing profits"

At 10:36 AM 5/11/2011, Bruce Hershenson wrote:
It sounds like they are saying that when the final high bid is well over the current high bid, they will inflate the bid increment by enough so that they bleed that bidder out of extra money, but not enough that they scream bloody murder over it.

Isn't another word for this "stealing"?

Bruce

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Phillip W. Ayling <<mailto:mro...@earthlink.net>mro...@earthlink.net> wrote: "....in 22% of auctions, where there was proxy bid placed, the final selling price of the item did not max out the proxy bid."

It begs the question, "How does Ebay know what a maximum proxy bid was?"
I would think that should be private information. If that information were available to a seller, a seller might always max out the final price through insider "shill bidding." Is it OK as long as the artificial bidding is done by Ebay's corporate sibling eShill?
----- Original Message -----
From: <mailto:sa...@comic-art.com>Richard Halegua Comic Art
To: <mailto:MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:27 AM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] eBay is doubling and tripling bid increments

I loved this part Helmut:

"eBay's transaction team will be conducting two tests to our site on bid increments. There was analysis done where in 22% of auctions, where there was proxy bid placed, the final selling price of the item did not max out the proxy bid. There will be two variants running and two control groups. The first variant test will increment the bid increment by 2x the current increment and the second test variant will increase the bid amount by 3x the current increment."

Bruce Hershenson and the other 25 members of the eMoviePoster.com team
P.O. Box 874
West Plains, MO 65775
Phone: <tel:417-256-9616>417-256-9616 (hours: Mon-Fri 9 to 5 except from 12 to 1 when we take lunch)
<http://www.emovieposter.com/>our site
<http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html>our auctions