Well, Joe, all I can say is that is is not as obtrusive as it sounds.  Their
projection and sound are first class, and that goes a long way with me.  They
make the
rule against talking stick, and I find talking and lighted phones MUCH worse
than the quiet moving of wait staff.  The pre-film programming is quirky and
delightful.  I much
prefer it to those canned ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT-type features at Regal and AMC.
 If you go to the afternoon or late evening shows, the
wait staff aspect is minimal.  The Drafthouse started as a art house and moved
to maybe 70% commercial films.  If you're going to see some comedy, it's a good
venue for a pre- romp.  If you're going to see THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST or
HOUR OF THE WOLF or MELANCHOLIA, maybe it's not such a good moment to gobble a
pizza, although I'm sure some would.  Having said that, I did see TREE OF LIFE
at the Drafthouse.  From what I've seen so far, I would count it as one of my
very favorite films of this year.  But then, you can count me among those who
think Malick is a genius.

One complaint that I have had about the Drafthouse, is that they have been
known to change film programming without much notice.  They'll drop a film to
one showing per day and move something that is making money onto that screen.
So if you don't check their website before you go and get the latest update,
you could make a trip for nothing or end up seeing something you hadn't
particularly planned.

Austin also has what opened as GOLD CLASS CINEMAS.  And gold is precisely what
you need to get in.  You sit in the lap of luxury for $19.00 to $25.00 per
seat.  Not particularly well disguised in this concept is the idea that one
doesn't have to see a film with the riff-raff.  Which on the surface of it may
sound good, but I don't find it Capra-eskque enough for me.  I love the
audience.  The lack of an audience (film's holy link to theater) is lamentable.
 While it's quite nice to sit at home and watch something in Hi-Def - I do it a
lot -
it's not as good for me as sharing the movie with an audience.

Kirby

Kirby McDaniel
MovieArt Original Film Posters
P.O. Box 4419