Interesting.

Richard Del Belso
 Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 23:31:50 +0000
From: evan...@blueyonder.co.uk
Subject: [MOPO] West Side Story/ Caroff
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU

Stan at Posteritati posted a while back that it's Joe Caroff and not Bass who
was responsible for the West Side Story poster artwork.(Info came directly from
Caroff to their publisher.)

A former colleague of Caroff's has just posted on NSFGE in a relevant thread
and thought it worth reposting here for anyone who missed the original post.
Also some further accreditation contained in it:
Joe Caroff — West Side Story Poster
I came across a conversation regarding The West Side Story movie poster
controversy “Bass or Caroff” yuku.com.

I can tell you without a doubt that it was designed by Joseph Caroff.
Joe and I were partners for 20 years. He had an ongoing relationship
with UA and art director David Chasman (for whom he designed the
original 007 logo for a press release. It was so successful it was
picked up as the film logo.). I have seen this mix up on many sites. Joe
 kept a very low profile but he is responsible for some of the great
film posters of the 20th century. Cabaret, A Hard Days Night… During our
 time together we designed The Last Temptation of Christ poster and
opening film title sequence for Martin Scorsese and The Handmaides Tale
for Volker Schlondorff.

Please pass this along to anyone who is in doubt.

All the best,