Does it really devalue the poster or morph it into something else? I was amazed
to see how certain Lobbies or posters which had been signed by a performer or
had provenance with the performer, when placed in the "right" auction went for
very large sums of money. When the Roy Rogers Museum contents were sold, I was
truly amazed at prices realized for some posters which were really common,
including some signed and unsigned items that were re-releases. They seemed out
of proportion to the value of the poster itself, because presumably even a
re-released lobby signed by John Wayne, Judy Garland or Marilyn Monroe, appeals
to a far wider group of people than poster collectors. There are more autograph
hounds out there than poster collectors.

I have a few things which in retrospect have signatures on them which mean more
now than they did at the time they were signed. I'm a musician and often I will
take an advance to a session that I am working on and get it signed by people
who show up and then donate one to a charity or school auction around LA.

I have always loved working with Randy Newman and about 17 years ago I took
some advances to the first Toy Story session. I wanted Randy to sign them. You
can't really ask people to take time out from working to do that for you, so I
took them into the recording both and asked if Randy and the Director could
sign them at their convenience. Who knew then that the movie would be  so huge?
When I picked up the posters at the end of the day Randy had signed it and John
Lassiter, Pete Doctor and Andrew Stanton (all unknown to me) as well as Steve
Jobs who was there (and of whom I had only a passing awareness). It didn't mean
much to me at the time. I have found out since that Steve Jobs didn't sign lots
of autographs. Apparently he signed the posters that day, since he was in the
recording booth and saw everyone else doing it and wanted to be one of the guys.

Sometimes, I have that poster hanging in my house and Steve Jobs' signature
seems to always get more attention than John Lassiter or Randy Newman.