The color/contrast of the image you are viewing online is largely affected by
the computer monitor you are viewing it with.

Robert

________________________________
 From: Jay Nemeth-Johannes <jay.johan...@smartsensorsystems.com>
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Saturday, March 3, 2012 5:12 PM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Are "boosted" images clever marketing or outright deception?

Re: [MOPO] Are "boosted" images clever marketing or outright deception?
I posted on APF on this, that the boosting isn’t necessarily intentional.  If
you take Bruce’s or Rich’s photos and open them in Microsoft picture manager or
iPhoto on the Mac, select edit and then do autocorrect, you will end up with an
image with higher saturation and increased contrast.  Obviously both Microsoft
and Apple believe that an accurate image is somewhat hotter than an ANSI
corrected image.

Further, your perception of the true appearance is influenced by a lot of
factors, not the least of which is the light you are viewing it under.  Bright
light, dim light, incandescent, CFL, tube flourescent, ‘daylight’ flourescent,
LED.  They are all going to make the picture ‘pop’ to varying extents.

I am not sure I am willing to accuse Heritage of making the images too vivid
when it could simply be that they use the picture editor defaults for
corrections.

Jay Nemeth-Johannes
8901 N Rexleigh Dr
Bayside, WI 53217