* As is common, sometimes you go through boxes in a garage, discovering things
you have no memory of owning.  A lot of it is junk, but last week I came across
another collection of movie related books, most with little value - but a few
titles that blew me away, including one that some rare book dealers are asking
more than $1,000 and up.

* I did not know, for example, that I own a first edition, first printing
(1943) of the book that changed Martin Scorsese's life.  "The Pictorial History
of the Movies" by Deems Taylor, long out of print and ultra-rare in a first
printing state, is jammed with "one
 of the finest collection of photographs of motion pictures from the
earliest days to the present ever assembled" (see below), covering movies
released from 1893-1941.  It's an astonishing book and I can see why Scorsese
fell in love with it.  It later went through six printings until its last
edition in 1950.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251026226562

* In a 1999 intro for another anthology, Scorsese wrote why the 350-page book
changed his life:  "When as a small boy I first fell in love with the movies, I
discovered a book by Deems Taylor entitled, "A Pictorial History of the Movies,
at our local branch of the New York Public Library.  It was the only film book
I knew about, and I borrowed it time and again....It was the first course in my
film education."

* In a British Film Institute documentary, he spoke again about the book,
saying, "it cast a spell on me because back then, I hadn't seen many of the
films shown in the book, so all I had at my disposal to experience these films
were black-and-white stills.  I'd fantasize about them and they would play into
my dreams."

* Many years later, Scorsese, with all of his resources, hunted down and found
a 1943 first edition for himself.  But in 2004, he donated it to the same
childhood library he visited near
Little Italy - when it marked its 100th anniversary - as a way of making
"reparations."  He confessed that as a boy, he liked an image in the book from
"Citizen Kane" so much - that he stole it before returning it.  (Thompson
Square
Library on 331 E. 10th St. between Avenues A and B.)

* In his 2003 book, "Deems Taylor: A Biography," author James A. Pegolotti
writes, "After two successful books of musical essays, Taylor turned to a
unique undertaking.  His agent, George Bye, had become aware of 'one of the
finest collection of photographs of motion pictures from the earliest days to
the present that have ever been assembled.'  He explained his idea:  'Each
picture has a lot of documentation.  What is wanted is a piquant writer like
your charming self to take these captions and rewrite them - and organize the
pictures and take credit as editor....If I got a pretty hefty publishing
advance and good royalty terms do you think you might be interested?'  He found
the idea fascinating, terms were arranged, and in 1943 Deems Taylor emerged as
a film historian with 'A Pictorial History of the Movies,' a book that went
into six printings."

* Some sellers want more than $1,000-$1,500 for this title, and they're not
even first printings.  I'll start the bidding at $40 and if it can fetch at
least that, I'll know that at least it'll be going to a good home.  This
350-page-book has no dust jacket, measures 7 1/4 x 10 1/4, has no additional
printing designations beyond 1943 and there's a name in fountain ink by a
previous owner on the front free endpaper.  It's in about very good condition
with some surface and corner wear - a couple of scratches on the back cover -
but it has a tight binding and no loose pages or cuts.  I'm not kidding, the
stills in the book are so great, I couldn't decide when to stop taking images
to show in one posting. -d.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251026226562