 Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 18:49:14 -0700
From: dianejeff...@roadrunner.com
Subject: [MOPO] As The Dracula Lawsuit Turns
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU

Hi All - Looks like this will come to an end soon. For those interested, I
have included below, my feeble attempts to make a wrong, right, 2 letters to
the
court. I certianly do not expect a good outcome, but it will be interesting to
see the amount of Judgment.
Diane
Studio C

Hon. Brian R. Martinotti, J.S.C.
Superior Court of New Jersey
Bergen County Justice Center
10 Main Street, Room 115
Hackensack, New Jersey 07601
March 26, 2012
Re: Thomas Rega v. Sal Oliveri, Film Shows, Inc and
Studio Conservation, Inc.
Docket No.: BER-L-383-10
ORDER GRANTING FINAL JUDGMENT BY DEFAULT
PROOF HEARING
Dear Hon. Brian R. Martinotti, J.S.C.:
I am the defendant, Diane Jeffrey, in the above case. I have been informed
that on April 13, 2012 or later, the plaintiff in this case will seek an order
from you granting Final Judgment by Default. I have enclosed a letter regarding
this case, previously sent to the court, for your review.
It is my understanding that since I was not in a financial position to retain
counsel, in order to defend myself, a motion for a Final Judgment will be
granted, against me. I also understand that the plaintiff will be required to
show proof of damages.
As the enclosed letter indicates, I did not interfere with a contract between
Plaintiff and Profiles In History, as said contract was null and void when it
was discovered that the consignment material was fake. Plaintiff can not prove
damages in this case. Therefore, I am respectively requesting that your
Judgment
be in the amount, no greater than $1.00.
I appreciate it very much your taking into account , the facts pertaining to
this case.
Very truly yours,

Diane Jeffrey
CC: Motion Clerk, Civil Division
Law Offices of Charles Shaw
Profiles In History

April 14, 2011
Honorable Charles E. Powers, Jr., J.S.C.
Superior Court of New Jersey
Bergen County Justice Center
10 Main Street, Chambers 335
Hackensack, New Jersey 07601
Re: Docket No.: BER-L-383-10
Thomas Rega v. Sal Oliveri, Film Shows, Inc. and
Studio Conservation, Inc.
Dear Judge Powers:
I am writing to you with regard to the above case, which is one
of the cases over which you are presiding. My name is Diane Jeffrey, and I am
the owner of Studio Conservation Inc. I am writing to you due to the fact that
am not represented by an attorney because I am unable to afford the fees
required for representation. Therefore, I would like to take this opportunity
advise you of some very important facts regarding this case:

I have no knowledge of or any dealings with Sal Oliveri, Film
Shows, Inc. Basically, I do not know nor have I ever met this person.

Studio Conservation Inc. was a service business that restored
art and collectible items, including old movie posters.

My first contact with Mr. Rega took place in early 2009 when he
hired me to restore a one-sheet Dracula poster. I restored the poster to Mr.
Rega’s specifications and returned it to him.

Later in the year, a poster with the same title and graphics
appeared on the cover of a catalogue published by the auction house Profiles In
History. The poster was featured for sale in their next auction with an
estimated price of $200,000 to $300,000. It was considered to be a rare item.

Because it was considered to be a rare item and because over
100 other “high end” Universal Studio horror movie posters had recently been
proven to be fake, this particular Dracula poster was being scrutinized by many
in the movie poster hobby community even though it had a Certificate of
Authenticity issued by Poster Mountain. (Poster Mountain is a vintage poster
and
fine art conservation and restoration company.) At that time I did not know if
this was the same poster that I had restored for Mr. Rega; however, there were
similarities in the restoration performed on the poster in the auction and the
one that I had done for Mr. Rega. Thus, I contacted Poster Mountain first to
offer my knowledge of the poster, if, in fact, it was the same poster. It was
only after Poster Mountain refused my information that I indicated on a public
forum that I had worked on a poster with the same title and graphics a few
months before the catalogue was published. I described the specific restoration
on the Dracula poster sent to me by Mr. Rega. As a result of the comments I had
made on a public forum, both Poster Mountain and many other poster collectors
began to question the authenticity of this poster, and Poster Mountain
determined that the poster was not an original, but instead was a reproduction
created by S2 Art Co.
Based on the complaint filed against me, it appears to me that I am being
charged with two counts:
1. Tortious Interference with Contractual Relations and
Prospective Economic Benefit
It appears to me that Mr. Rega is claiming that I interfered in
the consignment contract between him and Profiles In History. It is my belief
that when it was discovered that the poster was not an original, the
consignment
contract should have become null and void as Mr. Rega had not supplied an
original Dracula poster for auction. I believe I should not be faulted because
Mr. Rega did not receive an economic benefit from a fake poster. As stated
above, I became aware that the poster I had worked on and the poster offered
for
auction were the same only after being contacted by Profiles In History. I did
not contact them. Furthermore, I never knew if Mr. Rega was aware that the
poster he had sent me was a fake, and I never indicated that to Profiles In
History.

2. False Light/Trade Libel
I am disputing this charge because the only information I
supplied to Profiles In History was the name of the client that had sent me the
Dracula poster. I never indicated to anyone that I believed Mr. Rega knew the
poster was a fake because when I was working on it, I did not know for sure
that
it was. Also, I did not reveal Mr. Rega’s name in any of my correspondence on
the public forums or with anyone else. If Profiles In History or any other
company has refused to do business with Mr. Rega, it might be because the
entire
group of posters he gave to Profiles In History included not only the fake
Dracula poster but several other fake items which Profiles In History refused
consign. This is all verified in the Profiles In History suit against Mr.
Rega.

In view of all the facts regarding this case, I feel that all I
did was to start a ball rolling that resulted in preventing an innocent
individual from spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a fake poster. I
strongly contend that I am not, in any way, responsible for Mr. Rega’s lack of
economic gain from the Dracula poster or anything else. In light of this
explanation of my involvement, I find it hard to believe that our court system
could find any merit to the frivolous claims against me.

Once again as I stated above, I am in no financial position to
hire an attorney, yet it is my understanding that in the state of New Jersey, a
corporation must be defended by an attorney in a civil case. It is my hope that
your Honor can suggest a method that will allow me defend myself so as not to
suffer a Default Judgment simply because I do not have the funds for an
attorney.
I can supply copies of all paperwork, emails, correspondence,
photos to support everything that I have stated to you, and I am willing to
come
to New Jersey to defend myself in a trial before you and or a jury of my peers.
However, it is my sincere hope that after you have read this letter, you will
concur that I did nothing wrong and that I acted in a manner that was morally
correct.
Please advise me as to what my next step should be. Thank you for your
time.

Sincerely yours,

Diane Jeffrey
Cc: Law Office Of Charles Shaw & Associates.