>Diane - as we dont know all the facts what happened and you are
taking this is stride, one thing that could have been done was change
of Venue if you met certain state laws or if your health or ability
to get off work... also I hope that in the defauly you explored if
you could request a review or appeal.. make sure your limitations
didnt run out.. I would think to invest a few hundred bux for a legal
opinion may be well worth the cost vvs that judgement. Also you could
get a negocociator to discus the settlement and perhaps get a
reduction... as this will show up on all the credit reorts as a
judgement, Dunn and bradstreet and the like and could affet the
credit line of the business.  You have a good reputation amoung MOPO
people.,so the value of your Good will in your craft is important
also.. Perhaps draft up a form that people sign when they give you
art in the future that would hold harmless any intellectual property
issues related to the works and also put everyone on notice that you
are acting only as a restoration artist. You and John and others
could creat a standardized document that could cover all legal
aspects and considerations. this way you would be in fear each time
someone brings in a high end piece and the stigma and also trauma
wont haunt you.
We all make mistakes or may overlook potential issues.. its not the
end and It will also bring light to the subject in the future, I
would like you to explore every way to reduce the amount you need to
pay.. It also may be covered in your business policy under liability
if not see if you can also ad a rider onto the excisting policy..
Best of luck and God bless..
Tom