Welcome to the neighborhood.
Nice start.
ad

--- On Thu, 2/7/13, Stephen Ryan <moviepost...@inbox.com> wrote:

From: Stephen Ryan <moviepost...@inbox.com>
Subject: [MOPO] my 'New Years Resolution'
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Date: Thursday, February 7, 2013, 9:16 PM

Hi all,

quick introduction first, Steve Ryan from Indianapolis, IN (area).

For many many years I've sat somewhat quiet on poster forums, starting back on
MOPO a couple decades ago and haven't been contributing much since. Not really
sure why - just enjoy hearing about your thoughts/opinions/input/rants on this
amazing hobby, and career for the lucky few (and yes, you are lucky and you
should thank the man upstairs every day for being so blessed for being able to
have a job in this field).  I decided last year to no longer be a passive
reader and starting in January I would attempt to contribute.  Well that led to
February, but here I am.

I've never been much of an online blogger/writer. I manage a couple HR
departments for my day job -by the time I'm done writing/responding to e-mails
& sitting in meetings all day, I have little to say.

I love these poster forums. I'm amazed how many can take any
subject/news/opinion about film paper and turn it into a battle that would make
a 4-star general proud.   For many, I applaud your commitment to make other
contributors feel like %$&@ on an ongoing basis. It's a true art and many of
you deserve gold. That said, the Mexican lobby card pimp deserves it so keep up
the hate on that guy ;-)

I remember back years ago not long after MOPO started there was some guy who
only collected Al Pacino material, some linen backing guy who ended up going
off the deep end and stealing everyone's posters, and a couple guys who Scott
would often have to keep in line.  They would always threaten to quit the group
- I guess they eventually delivered on their promise.

Like many of you, I have a nonstop need to own more film paper, and like many,
believe it's in the blood.  I've heard people discuss the collector bug goes
back to cave man days where our ancestors only survived based on hunting and
gathering. I can care less, I just know collecting movie memorabilia is value
added in my life and something I enjoy.

I'm more of a 'low-profile' collector - other then my annual visit to Cinevent,
or an occasional auction/show, I don't discuss this hobby/addiction/obsession I
have with movie paper often.  Friends/neighbors who know of my collection often
mistake me for someone who loves movies, which I do, but I'm 90% a film paper
collector, 10% a movie watcher. Never really understood why people think poster
collectors love to watch movies so much, but they do.  Might be a good thread
to discuss sometime.

I'm a big Heritage fan (sorry Geraldine) and get much of my material from the
weekly and signature auctions.  I prepare months ahead of time preparing for
their signatures and I'm often one of those guys you look at and wonder why
someone can overpay for that poster.  I try to keep my collecting in
perspective and only make sound investments, but sometime you just want
something and spending an extra few hundred to get it is not necessarily a bad
thing.

My wife doesn't understand how I work all day, then spend a little time each
night looking at auction sites, scheming and coming up with a strategic plan on
what and how to go about getting what I want to own next,
organizing/documenting my collection, or reading these forums.  I can only
justify by stating we've been married for 15+ years now, I collected before we
met and dated so she should have known what she was getting into at that time.

However, in all fairness to my family, I often don't start my 'poster day'
until 9PM-ish after I'm home from the office, the kids are fed, homework/study,
snacked,and in bed.  For anyone with young kids, you probably understand the
kids snack part is their most important time of the day and prolongs bed time
by 30 minutes or more each night, so my downtime starts late.   I've been doing
this 6AM boot camp thing for a year now to keep the blood flowing so I'm often
up at 4:30AM.  My nightly window of poster engagement is therefore short.

With younger kids, my wife and I don't have many opportunities to catch new
movies unless they have a "G" somewhere on the screen and have been created in
some type of animation.  (To put this in perspective, I finally watched "The
Hunger Games" (DVD) a couple weeks ago.) For anyone who forgets and gets
clouded by a few good ones, kid movies suck, period.  I'm still pi**ed off
after seeing 'Furry Vengeance' in 2010 - 90 minutes and $50 of my life I'll
never get back.  Branden Fraser and Brook Shields should live every day in
shame for being compensated for this atrocious disaster rendered as
entertainment.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and let you know I'll play more of a role as a
contributor.  You are all great people and I appreciate the many of you who
understand the nonstop need to own every piece of movie memorabilia that ever
came off a printer.

Peace, Steve Ryan

FREE 3D MARINE AQUARIUM SCREENSAVER - Watch dolphins, sharks & orcas on your
desktop!