pretty much correct about their reasons.

At 12:06 PM 3/21/2014, Richard Evans wrote:
Beginning of my collecting coincided with Christies London's first sale in 95.
(Pretty sure it was their first sale, or first decent one, at least first Tony did I believe.) At that time, I found linen backing was accepted practice generally, whether or not strictly speaking the condition of the piece demanded it.
I bought into it, nasty folds were enough of a justification.
(Though perhaps not quite as automatic there then as now, I did buy posters at Christies that weren't backed, and were below condition A.) I'd imagine the justification is that presenting cosmetically perfect posters is effective with their particular clientele. Probably tricky to argue against, they do seem to get some very healthy results.

Sent from my iPad