  From: Helmut Hamm
  To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
  Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:09 AM
  Subject: [MOPO] Aw: [MOPO] Global Shipping Program

  Tommy,

  for me as a dealer, the GSP is pretty much a disaster: When I buy for my
business, any import taxes I pay are refundable to me. Not so when I import
something through the GSP: In their fine print, you agree to the term, that all
your purchases are for private use only, not commercial. In consequence, this
means that I don't get ANY paperwork from them, and so I lose my import taxes
to the German government. I try to work around this program whenever possible,
but it has become a serious hassle.
  Even worse, we have a reduced import tax of 7% for works of art (as opposed
to the regular 19%). GSP completely ignores that, so when I buy art, I not only
lose 7% tax, I lose a full (and incorrect) 19% on top of my purchase price.
  And yes, in most cases they are considerably more expensive than the regular
USPS rates.

  Helmut