Hi Simon,

My parents owned a portrait photography studio back in the '50s and '60s.
We regularly got this sort of restoration work.  The standard procedure was
to do the restoration artwork on the original and then make an
inter-negative and a new print.  However, glossy prints, such as those used
for stills were very tricky.  It is impossible to create that sheen, so
they generally created an intermediate matte print, did the restoration and
then created another negative and glossy print.  That makes it third
generation and the results were generally somewhat soft.

If I were to attack such a job these days, I think I would digitize, do
the restoration in photoshop and then create a new print.

You have one other issue to deal with though.  Vintage prints were on a
paper backing.  In the mid-70s, Kodak switched to a polyester based 'paper'
and obsoleted the paper stock.  The old paper stock hasn't been available
for 40 years now, so making a new print that looks and feels like the old
one is impossible.

Probably best to either find another copy, or live with the bad one, while
creating a modern laser printed restored copy for display purposes.

   Jay