Deadbeat Bidders.

yeah those morons.

all of us who do online auctions get them and mostly they are just a small inconvenience, but sometimes they are a real pain in the ass

one such bidder has been Frank Santos who for years has been a real pain. He was once a dealer who I allowed on MPB, though he was later banned for non-shipment. He eventually cleared that crap up & I allowed him back on.. as a buyer only and I had to ban him back in 2008. He came back, crying about some hospital stay and talked me into allowing him back on and I relented, again.

from that point he never bid anyway, so he was forgotten

then one day last year a bidder named Pat Wainer signed up and proceeded to buy a big load of stuff.. almost a thousand bucks.. and no payment. I would email and email and finally after way way too long, I was talking to Peter Contarino & he had the same buyer and he mentioned that he thought it was "Phil" Santos. well naturally that sparked a little research as I already knew that name somehow so I started scanned my database and Frank Santos popped up.
"OH.. that moron!"

So as I continued to check I found the key - the addresses were the same!

Okay.. now I'm kind of angry. I had given this schmuck way too much leeway and he abused it at every turn, but one good thing about the sign-ups at MPB.. Phone number! Oh boy did I call. Oh boy did I leave a stern message and mentioned all three names "This call is for Pat Wainer.. I mean Phil Santos.. I mean Frank...... get your money in. Who do you think you're fooling?"

well I did indeed get paid pretty quick with the usual garbage excuses, but that order came with a warning "pay your bill on time, or pay the consequences"

Clearly, the warning did not work as I currently have several hundreds more dollars worth of stuff that he never paid for, no responses to emails, no response to phone calls.
Clearly he is the definition of a deadbeat bidder (along with others)

I know that all of us online seller regularly ban non-paying bidders, most of whom win some small $1 to $5 item and never pay because for some reason after they have won, shipping becomes onerous to them.
We ban these people just to make sure we don't have to deal with it.

But this guy is a supposed dealer and longtime presence in the hobby. He has no excuse. So to the rest of you I say "watch out"

maybe Peter will post his story later..

Rich