From: MoPo List [mailto:mopo-l@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU] On Behalf Of daniel
strebin
Sent: February-03-16 2:59 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: [MOPO] the passing of Bob de Pietro

The vintage poster and projected-film collecting worlds lost a one-time giant
of their respective arenas earlier this week with the passing (from congestive
heart failure) of Robert de Pietro, known to many of us old-timers as Bobby d.
An avid student and lover of world cinema, he turned his masters degree in film
studies from NYU into a decades-long series of vintage film-related enterprises
which included, but were not limited to, processing and enlarging independent
filmmakers' 8 and 16mm work into 35mm projection prints; being one of the first
to offer rare international films on vhs; being the principal architect of
Martin Scorsese's (and others) private 16 and 35mm film archives; and one of
the true seminal giants of vintage film poster connoisseurship. In addition, he
was a genuine larger-than-life character in every respect of the term, in fact
his personal philosophy which he generously shared with those of us dinosaurs
of the collecting worlds was, in his words, "living large, or you just ain't
living." In spite of the hard times which befell him in recent years, I believe
he will be tremendously missed by those of us lucky enough to have been blessed
by his past glory and knowledge and love for the best and brightest in film
history. >From his loving friend, Daniel Strebin/ posterman dan