"If the surviving 1945-75 posters didn't originate one way or another from
the exchanges, where the he[ck] did they come from"

It's important to note that there were numerous private poster services in
the US and Canada; some as early as the late 1920's.

NSS didn't get into the 'poster' business until the late 1930's and they
didn't handle posters for all the different studios as a virtual monopoly
until several years after World War II. Among the last studios to come
aboard were Columbia and Republic. Even then, NSS continued to sell to the
private exchanges for about 15 more years until freezing them out
completely.

Many pre- 1965 posters that are now in collections came by way of these
private poster services. In 1960, when I was 10, I dealt with 4 different
poster services just in Oklahoma City alone.

The stock in these exchanges (excluding materials made by the "Other
Company" or other non-studio printers) was generally acquired by an exchange
in four different ways:

A.      From the studios themselves; or the Litho Companies that had been
authorized to sell to exchanges on behalf of a given studio.

B.      From movie theatres who had purchased materials officially from a
studio to cover a release and now no longer needed them.

C.      From the merger or acquisition of another exchange.

D.     From NSS as they gradually became dominant and then a monopoly.