I am very sad to report that Jean-Pierre Giangrande has passed away. From
the 1970s on, Jean-Pierre Giangrande and Stanislas Choko were the two
leading French movie poster dealers, and now they have both passed away.

They were about as opposite as could be! Stanislas Choko ran the Intemporal
Gallery, and published lots of books about movie posters. He was a "good
will ambassador" for the hobby, always promoting the collecting of posters.

Jean-Pierre Giangrande was a much more private person. He operated as a
number of U.S. poster dealers have over the past decades, *NOT* owning a
store or gallery, and instead endlessly searching for "poster finds" and
building a large network of collectors and dealers who might sell him
posters, and finding collectors and dealers he might re-sell those posters
to, all without a gallery or even a shop. He was also very much a "straight
talker", describing things as he saw them, and not worrying about making
friends, or even making people like him!

I first met him in 1989, when I took a trip to Paris (and London) with
legendary American poster dealer, Jose Ma Carpio, owner of the Cinemonde
poster gallery in San Francisco, and undisputedly the leading movie poster
dealer in the entire world throughout the 1980s. He said that he wanted to
take a trip to Paris and London, and go "first class" all the way, and he
invited me to go with him, and he promised to introduce me to the very top
French and English dealers, which he did.

When we arrived in Paris, we first had a memorable day with Stanislas
Choko, who showed us his gallery and his home, and we had a memorable
dinner with him, which I described in the club message written after he
passed away (see it here:
*https://www.emovieposter.com/club/returnmessage.php?id=981
<https://www.emovieposter.com/club/returnmessage.php?id=981>*).

The next day Jose told me we would be meeting Jean-Pierre Giangrande, and
he warned me that "JP" as he called him, was *VERY* different from
Stanislas! He told me that JP would not be trying to impress me, and that
he was like that with everyone, and that I shouldn't be offended.

We met him on the streets of Paris, and he took us to a garage on the
street. He lifted the large door, and, to my amazement, the entire garage
appeared to be filled with posters from front to back, and side to side! I
asked him what his plans for them (I had visions of buying them all!), but
he said they were his "retirement", and that he would sell them slowly over
many years.

We then had lunch together at a street cafe, and he told me stories about
poster dealers and collectors from all over the world, and he gave his
honest opinion of each, not holding back in the slightest if he had a
negative opinion. After being around so many people who were so careful in
the words, it was so refreshing to be around someone who obviously had no
"political correctness".

Over the years since then, Jean-Pierre Giangrande would consign posters to
me on a regular basis, often excellent ones, but only a few at a time. I
never saw him in person again, but we "stayed in touch", and I know that he
traveled extensively, especially loving to visit Las Vegas and Hollywood,
often going to special events.

Last week, a very good friend of his gave me the news that JP had passed
away. I asked him whatever became of that garage filled with posters, and
he said that, as Jean-Pierre had planned so many years ago, he *HAD* slowly
dispersed them through the years!

*I bid a very sad farewell to the great French poster dealer Jean-Pierre
Giangrande*