My company, eMoviePoster.com had its all-time best sales year in 2019, with
$5,771,705.00 in total sales (and those are REAL sales, unlike most
auctions, whose results include sales that fell through, sales where the
consignors bought their own items, and "sales" where the auction house
"bought" the items from themselves).
THIS year, we switched to bi-weekly auctions (as part of my desire to "slow
down", after 30 years, and $92 million in sales), which means we now hold
40% FEWER auctions than we used to. Naturally we expected to have 40% fewer
sales as well, so we set a sales goal for the year of $3.5 million.
Then the pandemic hit, and we cancelled one set of bi-weekly auctions, and
given all that was going on, we lowered our sales goal yet again, to $3
million.
But then something REALLY bizarre happened! Our sales grew and grew and
grew, as we received lots of wonderful consignments, and also acquired more
and more new buyers!
And our sales were SO incredibly strong that I realized we had the chance
to hit our $3 million goal for the entire year FIVE months early, by July
31st (and to show just how remarkable that is, we were not able to have
that many sales last year, ending last July at just under $3 million).
Well July has just ended, and our sales to date are $3,017,182.00. That
means that not only have we reached our entire year's goal in 7 months
(with 40% fewer auctions), but we are also ahead of last year's record pace
when we had $5.7 million in sales.
As far as the full year goes, we have five months left, and we will be
holding THREE more Major Auctions (our soon-to-start September Major, our
21st Annual Halloween Auction, and our December Major Auction) so, while it
seems impossible to have a sales record with 40% fewer auctions during a
pandemic, who really knows!
And what caused this? First and foremost, our 50,000+ buyers over the
years. Second, the incredible consignments we have received from our 2,700+
consignors. And third, the 25 employees of eMoviePoster.com, surely the
best auction staff of any auction house, anywhere. My deepest thanks to all!
See http://www.emovieposter.com/sales/postersales.php for confirmation of
our incredible sales growth over the years (and these ARE all confirmed
real sales, and we know that other auctions can't say the same)!