From: Caitlin Graham [mailto:cait...@rockpaperfilm.com]
Sent: 12 November, 2020 5:05 PM
To: John Reid <johnr...@moviemem.com>
Cc: MoPo-L@listserv.american.edu
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Changes to UK customs regulations

Hi John,

I agree this is all extremely annoying, but a couple of things to note from
reading the complex guidance on this...

As far as I understand it, this new rule only applies to consignments with a
total value under £135, so if you are shipping consignments to the U.K. with a
value OVER £135 - existing U.K. import rules apply and you can opt for import
vat to be charged to the importer (your customer) and I don’t think you would
need to register for U.K. vat.

VAT on consignments UNDER £135 is now classed as ‘Supply VAT’ rather than
import VAT and the supplier will now be responsible for accounting for that at
the point of sale and would need to register for U.K. vat.

So, I am no expert, but it seems a way around having to register for U.K. vat
is not to sell anything under £135 to U.K. customers unless they buy more than
one item so that the total consignment values over £135? The downside is you
may lose U.K. customers who don’t want to pay the U.K. import Vat.

The other point to note is that if you are selling to a U.K. customer through
an online marketplace, the online marketplace is responsible for collecting the
vat, not you. So again that would be another potential way around it -
directing U.K. customers to purchase through an online marketplace rather than
direct on your website.

See full details here
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021

“Direct sellers - businesses making sales direct to GB customers rather than
via an OMP: Businesses making sales of goods not exceeding £135 in value (per
consignment) to customers in the UK, where the goods are outside the UK at the
point of sale, will become liable to register and account for VAT on those
sales.”

I also understand that these U.K. changes are based on similar changes expected
to come into place throughout the European Union in July 2021, where a
consignment value under 150 EUR will apply:

https://www.globalvatcompliance.com/eu-new-vat-rules-applying-to-b2c-e-commerce-trades-in-the-european-union-as-of-1-july-2021/?cn-reloaded=1

So it seems this will become an issue when selling to all European customers,
not just to U.K.

I’m hoping someone will write an informed article on how this will affect the
collectors market so it all becomes clear!

Best,
Caitlin

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 at 22:30, John Reid