From: MoPo List <mopo-l@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU> on behalf of Tommy Barr
<tommymb...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2021 7:05:53 AM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU <MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>
Subject: [MOPO] Posters as investment

Since the recent discussion on poster prices I have been wondering about what
the long-term trend of values might be. I am thinking especially of those which
fetch higher prices at the moment, and might be considered as investment
vehicles. Obviously the best reason to buy anything is because it is something
you appreciate for itself, and simply owning it gives you pleasure.
Nevertherless, having spent sometimes fairly considerable amounts of cash you
would naturally hope the item would at least hold its value.

 It is not uncommon to see posters for sale described as ‘investment quality’,
so the idea that they will increase in value must sometimes be the raison
d’etre for buying them. Certainly over the past few years it would appear that
certain titles have appreciated considerably in value, and I have no doubt that
in the near future that will probably continue to be the case. But what about
twenty or thirty years from now?

I recently met some young people who had never heard of the Beatles.  I found
that quite shocking, but it does seem that many of the present generation are
more concerned with the present than the past, and that applies to all forms of
entertainment, including films. So in 20 years time will someone pay $1000+ for
A Hard Day’s Night one sheet? While Star Wars posters might still be highly
sought, and other contemporary movies, what are the chances that even a
Casablanca original release will fetch anything like current prices? Will
Universal horror films of the 30s have any avid collectors? Time will tell, but
unfortunately I will hardly be around to find out.

Tommy