From: MoPo List [mailto:mopo-l@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU] On Behalf Of Todd
Sent: Tuesday, August 9, 2022 11:11 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Has Your Frankenstein Monster Gone Missing?

Yes.  I first saw this figure as part of the Forrest J. Ackerman auction at
Gurnsey's Auction House in New York in December of 1987 named, THE WORLD OF
FORREST J. ACKERMAN AT AUCTION.  This was also where I met the New York TV
Horror Host Zacherle for the first time who was at the viewing who was out
of costume, casually walking around looking at the material, when a friend
pointed out, that's John Zacherle!!  Zacherle was around 70 at the time and
he didn't look a day over 50.  I couldn't believe how much younger he looked
than his 70 years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192355310180

The figure was not owned by Forry but was consigned by someone else and from
what I remember was kind of a last-minute addition to the sale, although I
believe it still made it into the catalog.  It was so intriguing; I swore it
looked exactly like Karloff's complete costume from The Bride of
Frankenstein.  The next day I brought a binder of Bride of Frankenstein
stills to compare and after studying it for a while, including all the
stitching, EVERYTHING matched up exactly.  This was Boris Karloff's costume
from The Bride of Frankenstein!!  Not only that.  The figure itself was
supposedly used at the end of the film as a double for Karloff when the
castle was blown up.  The head itself was restored but this was the same one
supposedly shown in publicity shots with James Whale and John J. Mescall,
cinematographer for the film, where the head was on a stand.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005796/mediaviewer/rm1739050496?context=default
<https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005796/mediaviewer/rm1739050496?context=defaul
t&ref_=nm_phs_md_1> &ref_=nm_phs_md_1

On the initial viewing at the auction house, the figure was lying flat in a
large wooden crate and the costume was in excellent condition.  Security was
very poor and I was horrified to find out after several days that people
were ripping pieces off the costume as a souvenir; buttons off the jacket
and pieces of leather off the boots!!  I alerted Arlan Ettinger(owner of
Guernsey's) about this but it was already too late when he now had someone
standing guard.

I was very interested as was my friend, the late Kevin Burns and we were
thinking of going in on it together.  We talked to Arlan Ettinger, the owner
and auctioneer at Gurnsey's and found out that the minimum amount the
consignor would accept was $10,000.00, which was a lot of money at the time.
Kevin and I couldn't decide on an agreement on how to co-own it and when it
was time to come up for sale, the press was there with live camera's and
Ettinger was going to make it "sell", one way or the other.  Well, it didn't
sell but he made like it did and it was a lot more than the $10k minimum
bid.

Vey shortly after the auction, I was doing one of the poster/memorabilia
shows in California and somehow by coincidence, I was talking to someone who
was the consignor of the Frankenstein figure!!  His name was Ken Kramer, a
film collector who passed away in 2016.  Ken told me that he responded to an
ad in The Recycler about a garage sale in LA where he acquired the figure.
He mentioned how he had the head restored.  He wasn't at the auction in New
York and didn't hear anything about what had happened to the figure, except
that it didn't sell.  I gave him the bad news that when he gets it back,
it's not going to be in the same condition it was when he sent it to
Guernsey's and he was basically speechless.

Now sometime after this(not sure how much time) the figure ended up at a
Christie's London Sale.  I was at Christies East(on East 67th Street in NYC,
I believe 219 E. 67th Street) and happened to see the catalog.  It was a
beautiful catalog, which I had to have with a closeup headshot of the
monster.  From what I remember at the time, it ended up selling for
somewhere in the high 20's, something like $27,000, which was quite a bit
more than the $10k, Kevin and I could have had it for.

Well, that's my story as best as I could remember and yes, I did see this in
person.

Todd

  _____