From: texasmu...@web.de <texasmu...@web.de>
Sent: 1 April, 2023 6:07 PM
To: Moviemem Original Movie Posters <johnr...@moviemem.com>;
MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: Aw: RE: [MOPO] Postal Service handling issues

John,

$400 in insurance money sounds like a total waste. There are only two ways to
get high end posters insured: You can get your own insurance policy (which can
be seriously expensive) or if you only occasionally ship top-end posters you
could use a dedicated art service. They are really expensive, but they will
also cover you all the way.

Just for the record, the legal end of things: According to German legislation,
in a business to consumer deal, the seller is responsible for safe delivery. In
a B2B transaction, the seller‘s responsibility ends once the package has been
handed over to the carrier.

My personal solution is this: For several years, I have stopped using Deutsche
Post or Deutsche Post DHL (their parcel post outlet) for any international
shipments. Regardless of value, I exclusively ship with UPS or DHL Express.
Nothing is risk-free, but the private carriers are so much faster and their
tracking is so much more reliable, it makes a lot more sense to me. For
anything seriously expensive I use an art carrier.

As to the actual risks: Let‘s face it, mail thieves are not overly interested
in old posters, so theft is not much of any issue here. Plus, when it comes to
expensive posters, they would be very, very hard to sell. I had countless
delays over the years, but I only remember one package that was supposedly
lost: A shipment to Canada a few years ago never registered as delivered in the
online tracking. Canada Post claimed they had delivered it and denied my
insurance claim. The seller said he didn‘t get it. This was a new and one-time
buyer and I still have the strong feeling that he managed to get hold of his
shipment without a signature and since it didn‘t show in the online tracking,
he decided to rip me off. This is just a gut feeling of course. This is the
only actual loss I remember in roughly 30 years of shipping internationally.

I started out as a collector, so I know only too well how frustrating it is to
receive damaged goods. So I make sure that everything I send out is packed with
utmost care. Still, if the carrier decides to throw your package under a truck,
there is nothing you can do, so damages are always a risk. One last piece of
advice: Do not ship in tubes, or at least use a square box that partially
covers the tube and prevents it from rolling. Tubes tend to roll off a collie,
and especially in stressful times, chances are that nobody cares to pick it up
again. If that happens, you can be happy if your Christmas order arrives by
Easter.

Helmut

www.filmposter.net