hello MOPO
 and Scott Burns et al

I have been considering the state of the movie industry movie memorabilia in pop culture and what is transpired in my years in the business since May 24, 1977

It is been a major roller coaster ride yes we had no education other than experience before they even have a name of calling it pop culture memorabilia considering in the early days you were considered a freak if you save comic books or baseball cards and memorabilia my first experience was 1966 with the bubblegum cards of the Beatles the monster movies and the monkees Adam west as batman cards and books as well as a variety of toys at the time the Kenner toys like Play-Doh and G.I. Joe, aurora monster models and all the various WAMO toys like super balls
 and Frisbees
Color television was just becoming popular but most of the movies that we watch we're old black-and-white we run films and Bill Kennedy will Rita bell from Detroit along with soupy sales in johnny Ginger also from Detroit and Mark Sweden who played the Goul on channel 50 and Cleveland channel20

When I first started dabbling in memorabilia it was out of my booking agency office in 1976 and by 1977 the Hollywood dream factory was born after watching a film documentary about you action of MGM studios in 1970 that dick Cavett hosting well did the near ration I would later meet some of my heroes in the business because of being around the business as a promoter like when I struck up a friendship with Adam West and sold his book back to the Batcave and booked him for a couple of personal appearances one being in Toledo Can October 16 1981 I went from being mail order only and across the world to merging a retail store along with my mail order business those were the days I could find warehouses full of old stock and I ran across so many things like vintage toys still in the box like for instance Gumby dolls and costumes from 1965 James Brown figures from the Gilbert company from 1965 major Matt mason dolls and toys and WAMO super stuff that was used in night of the living dead as the prop guts from 1967 still sealed in the package

I would trade my warehouse fines with other dealers across the world mostly in California New York and England and some business in Germany which would offer to extend my inventory and sometimes that would trade for import reproduction movie posters that I could then wholesale too small memorabilia shops or trade with other poster dealers to extend my inventory

Then in the 90s I decided to manufacture memorabilia because I could not find many dealers that were making anything I started making movie reel clocks, movie pl clapboards and Director megaphones old school style and various modifications to turn the clapboards into Clocks major chain stores like Suncoast pictures which was owned by Musicland lost my products and featured them in over 600 stores I started to get calls from major museums like the Georgie Eastman house in Rochester New York the Museum of the moving image in Astoria New York the American film Institute Walt Disney Company Universal Warner Brothers Paramount MGM old Tucson major video companies major ad agencys

Was it interesting time as video distribution companies were also abundant supply in Hollywood video and Blockbuster video and I just happen to have a main distribution hub of VPD in Toledo that I used to buy their over stock of video posters from in addition to the various collections that were offered to me from private collectors of books movie magazines press books and about anything related to Hollywood I also started buying vintage motion picture equipment like actual 35 mm movie cameras 16 mm super eight and how I met Todd Fisher Debbie Reynolds son was there was a guy in North Carolina who had bought all the old MGM lights and equipment so I travel down to North Carolina and bought vintage 1930s mole Richardson 2000 fresnels I was asked by Paramount who owns theme parks in the Carowinds and in Ohio to sell them a re-creation of an old movie set so I did two or three dollars for the use as props on the theme parks it's amazing how people refer you to other industry people and I got many jobs from box office magazine the trade magazine for the movie industry as well as also American cinematographer and the motion picture camera stores that supplied professionals like cine 60 in New York City Victor Duncan, alan Gordon, panavision lots of great companies lights camera exchange in Hollywood was one of my oldest customers they film part of the movie bowfinger that was directed by Frank OZ and starred Eddie Murphy and Steve Martin When you talk to the old timers business for years you hear a lot of the same things how greedy and bad deals have caused much damage to the industry just like all the format changes on the media like one minute it was film to video VHS from VHS to laser disk and then just like records it's coming full circle for some people find that they prefer analog projection compared to digital the poster industry went from painted artwork to Photoshop and that's why I already started to back off purchasing new titles in the 90s I preferred illustrators and hand-painted artwork to the photo shop images No the prices we have is that most of the people that bought the stuff from me are now in their 70s and 80s in the younger generation doesn't even know who the older people were Sure there is still some new people coming into the Hobby however choose between with the truly passionate collectors with low income could not afford the Hobby A guy just called me today and asked for a original Farrah Fawcett poster I remember when they came out I believe it was about 1976 and I actually met the guy that originally published who is called pro arts studio out of Medina Ohio the guys name was ted back then we called them commercial posters and they would sell for about three dollars apiece or $1.50 cost but then I can buy one sheets for 3 to 6 dollars apiece and finally they went up to 10 and I thought it was expensive I had blade runner in my shop for $9.50 and my customer even asked me are you sure you want to sell it to me for $9.50 I said yes The funny thing is I still have poster stock left from when I started sup now the titles are not is great is Star Wars in polite However even the reproductions I have are not made any longer and we're made in the 80s

So the summary of my recollection is that I probably no less now than I did back in 1977 :-) And lately I've seen many of my friends I started in the business with have retired or passed away and there is not a bunch of new people to take over because young people have got very selective on what day even want but it's kind of fun to still see people happy when they get something that makes them happy that was always the best part of the business for me I'm not sure what's next but it's still kind of fun to make people happy and spread some positivity in the world I'm not sure what I'm doing or where I'm going but it doesn't seem like much of anybody knows them self we're all just guessing the best we can When I offered to stop selling Adam Westbrook because I thought I wasn't doing a good job he said to me Tom what you have to know is we're all just kind of guessing any encouraged me to keep trying in the other day I saw in my folder he sent me a personal note and said good job Tom what we find in life is that there are many good people out there that will give you breaks and help you if you just treat others honest and fair as we don't really deserve it it's just a beauty of kindness and love and friendship and I realize that I owe anything I ever did from others extending kindness to me so thank you all and if I can help anybody in any manner let me know I'll be 67 next month and I am starting to feel rather old but very thankful that I got to do anything
God bless everyoneand Peaceand love to all

Tom
Hollywood dream factory®
since 1077

----