David, I totally agree. It's part of the story and the story adds historical value at least. Of course it depends on the story how much. A signing session with sharpie for which the owner of the signature stood in line to pay the 25 bucks is less of a story than the one of a fan who left his/her/they spouse, or took six months leave to meet the hero in person. I have several items which are signed for an old friend of mine from which I bought a lot of items. To quote the description on my site www.movie-ink.com:

I have an original poster for ERASERHEAD signed by director DAVID LYNCH and lead actor JACK NANCE. The inscription at the top with Jack Nance's signature reads "To Thijs from Henry Spencer. Love To All Rotterdam", Lynch added to his signature in the collar "1978".

Here's the story: Thijs Ockersen was a Dutch journalist and film event organizer. In 1978 he was in California. One of his tasks there was to acquire movies for screening at the International Rotterdam Film Festival. ERASERHEAD was shown at a few late evening dates for promotion of the film. Ockersen attended a screening and got into contact with both Nance (who played HENRY SPENCER of course) and Lynch. He got a poster that both signed with the expectation that the movie would screen at the IFFR as Ockersen would pitch the movie. This is the meaning of the inscription Love To All Rotterdam". In the end it did not show as the festival's director HUUB BALS saw no appeal in ERASERHEAD and ultimately did not buy it.....

Best,

Wim

On 2024-02-22 01:40, David Kusumoto wrote:
This debate has been going on for years and people remain split on
it.  In fact, more recently there was this raging debate on a fan site
about removing personalization from a genuine signature from a Beatle.

 My thoughts, then vs. now, have changed.

 I used to think personalization ruins a book, poster, photograph,
whatever.  I no longer do and prefer it because:

 1) The more strokes of a pen, the easier it is for authenticators to
separate what's genuine vs. what's a forgery.
 2) Collectors can still prefer NO personalization - but it gets
complicated when it's done by a celebrity who is no longer alive.

 Recently, a collector wanted opinions about removing personalization
from an item signed by John Lennon.  The signature was authenticated
by two different organizations - and the collector said seeing
"personalization" to another person not sharing his name - really
bugged the crap out of him.

 Where I fall on this is simple.  I would NEVER want to erase a single
pen stroke done by a legendary figure.  Same with authors.  I prefer
personalization from an author like Hemingway, Faulkner, Fitzgerald,
Didion, E.B. White, Virginia Woolf, etc.   I don't care if the
personalization is for a random fan vs. for someone who was famous,
the latter of course would enhance value. To me, it represents the
celebrity taking an extra few seconds to write something besides his /
her name.  I myself would never erase personalization from even a
single-genre celebrity like Mark Hamill, who is notorious about
publicly calling out fakes of his own signature.  Separate from
signatures, restoration of paper does impact the perception of value,
e.g., sometimes a poster needs it and the value goes up or down or
stays the same.  In the comic book world, though, restoration does
have devastating impact on value.

 Of course, right now people want to remove things like, "Best of luck
William, All the Best! Paul McCartney" - if they're not named William.
 They're look at personalization as hurting market value.  Probably.
But when someone like McCartney eventually passes - and the world
mourns him - the perception of market value with or without
personalization DOES shift.  Again, speaking for myself, I would never
want to remove anything signed by such a person.  That's like wanting
a portion of Albert Einstein's writing removed because it includes
something like, "You're a smart young man, Herbert!  Good luck!  A.
Einstein." -d.