ROGER ON THE NATURE OF THE LEVELS
for cross-posting, but i really had no choice.
*************

I thought this month's topic was on problems or concerns with the MOQ related
to the levels, and had been preparing stuff on that tangent, only to see the
discussion go to the nature of the levels. So, I have changed course to get
in synch with ya'll. So, here are my ramblings on the nature of the levels. I
have organized it in a manner of questions and answers followed by a summary
of each level applying the developed concepts.

1) Why isn't there just one big, static level?

I think this is an important question, as its answer gives insight into the
divisions.  The answer is that the features, values, patterns-of-values, and
experiences within each level are not easily explainable or derivable in
terms of the values, patterns and experiences of the others. Also, because
the conflict between the varying values can be so explanatory -- actually
further clarifying aspects of our world that without the levels could not be
easily explained.  Also, Pirsig has associated a moral hierarchy based on the
versatility, dynamicness and complexity of experience and freedom inherent in
each successive level.  In brief, four levels explains a lot more than one
big Static Quality cut.

2) How are they connected?

Each level emerged out of the value interactions of the preceding level. Each
level started as a value of the underlying level that careened off into a
more complex and dynamic level of its own.
As such, the preceding level (or at least some patterns within the level)
acts as a base or a "part" that contributes to the "whole" of the higher
level. Chemicals contribute to living feedback mechanisms, that contribute to
organized societies, and social thoughts lead to complex patterns of
intellectual knowledge.

3) How are they arranged?

In a series of multiple-dimensioned hierarchies. It is a hierarchy of
interaction.  A hierarchy of part to whole. A hierarchy of complexity.  A
hierarchy of degrees of cooperation as well as degrees of competition.  A
hierarchy of dynamicness, of versatility, of freedom, of experience.  A
hierarchy of morality.

4) Are there any intellectual tools to help us better understand the levels?

Actually, current studies of complexity and the mathematics of chaos theory
are both recent fields of study that can be applied to emergent hierarchies.
 These fields were in their infancy when Pirsig was writing Lila. Some of the
features that chaos and complexity deal with includes the issue of emergent
features or values (called "attractors") that cannot be accurately understood
or determined based on the features and values of the lower level. Certainly
the MOQ doesn't need either theory, but both seem to say a lot that
correlates with the MOQ.  At least one correlation is that higher, emergent
levels and value patterns are more complex and dynamic than underlying
levels.  Another is that reductionism is inadequate as a means to explain
higher levels of features. For example, the study of life is fundamentally
holistic.  You can't dissect a living thing without killing it and destroying
much of what was being studied.

I am not a mathematician or a scientist, but I have yet to find any learning
within either chaos or complexity that contradicts anything within the MOQ.
 And much of the learnings in these fields shows promise for synergistic
learnings that is essential in intellectual advance.

5) What are some common characteristics across the levels?

a. Cooperation or self-reinforcement. Each level involves -- to a great
extent -- an element of synergy and cooperation.  This seems to lead to much
of the order and structure and complexity of the higher level.  In fact, each
level can be defined to an extent by a particular subset of self reinforcing
interactions that create a self-amplifying, positive feedback loops
(patterns).

b. Structure, order and complexity within an otherwise entropic or
destructive environment. The emergent patterns of the higher levels amount
both to new forms of order, as well as new forms of disorder.

c. Evolution.  Each level changes over time.  Despite the entropic nature of
our universe, the direction of the patterns of each level tends toward more
complexity, more structure, more organization, more cooperation, more
dynamicness and more versatility.  Again, eventually the patterns evolve and
grow to such an extent that entire new realms of order and experience open up.

d. Unique values, patterns of values and experiences.  Enough said here.

6) What is the nature of the moral hierarchy between levels?

Each level is more dynamic, more versatile, more free, and more complex.
 Each level involves more Quality and more experience.  The MOQ equates, or
at least correlates, reality, Quality, direct experience and morality; hence,
by definition the higher levels are more moral. (Patterns are derived from
direct experience, and 'deriving' is itself an experience.)

7) What are the levels?

The levels are intellectual in nature.  They are metaphysical divisions -- of
course! At a higher level, they are patterns of Quality, but they are
patterns of the subset of Quality we refer to as intellectual.  This is self
referential and recursive and can therefore appear more confusing than it is.

The Quality of the levels themselves is in their explanatory ability, in
their correlation with experience, in their logical consistency both within
the metaphysics and to other intellectual and nonintellectual fields.  The
Quality of the levels is their simplicity, their flexibility, their clarity,
their usefulness, their truth, their harmony.  These are intellectual values.

Obviously, I strongly support the more Jamesian/Zen interpretation most
adamantly argued this month by Elephant.  Like Jonathan, I have taken the
role against the 'other' and admittedly more common position in a vast number
of prior exchanges.  I have actually given up on converting others.  I
suggest they become familiar with philosophies such as Radical Empiricism or
Zen philosophers/writers such as Nishida or Wilber. Until I read these I
shared the conventional view.

Reality according to James and Pirsig is dynamic and flowing, and our
concepts of reality are static and discontinuous (and yes, conceptualizing is
itself dynamic). The levels are high Quality conceptual divisions of reality,
which is fundamentally undivided, continuous and dynamic.  They could be
divided differently or not divided out at all.

IN SUMMARY
Below is a brief explanation of each level elaborating upon the previous
issues.

INORGANIC
The inorganic level involves the values and patterns that we call the forces
of physics and the particles and elements and higher level patterns that we
derive in terms of these forces. The inorganic level is overwhelmingly
entropic, yet the weakest of all inorganic value forces -- gravity -- is able
to create local patterns of complexity and order due to the self amplifying
positive feedback of gravity being universally attractive and infinite in
range. The particle-patterns are attracted to each other and the closer they
get the stronger the attraction builds until eventually offset by other
forces.  As such, the order and complexity of galaxies, stars, planets and
the heavier elements that are cooked up via stellar processes is due to the
positive interaction of a force that is 10 to the 43rd power weaker than
electromagnetism (which is both positive and negative and hence cancels
itself out and tends to complete disorder).

BIOLOGY
Complex inorganic proteins and amino acids have the ability to form stable
self-reinforcing patterns.  These are called chemical feedback loops, and are
known to occur frequently and spontaneously in certain environments. These
patterns have the ability to create and sustain themselves.  To oversimplify,
the different chemical components interact synergistically to extract energy
from their environment and convert it into the manufacture and repair of
other parts of the pattern.  The pattern self creates and self propagates.
 Eventually -- or so the theory goes -- these patterns begin to replicate.
 Errors in the replication process, usually leading to pattern collapse,
infrequently results in improved ability to sustain itself or to respond to
its environment or to replicate.  The higher Quality patterns thus outlast or
outproduce the lower quality and over time the patterns evolve.  Cells are
made up of hundreds of such cooperative chemical components.

Eventually, the competition for resources gets so intense (with one source of
resources being other cells) that the cells learn to survive not by just
competition, but by cooperation.  Cells cooperate to build synergistic
defenses and propulsion systems and so forth.  One of the best methods to
compete is to cooperate, and the more your competitors cooperate, the more
you need to cooperate.  Advanced living beings are composed of billions of
cooperating cells, specializing and forming complex abilities and experiences
that were impossible in isolation.

The emergent values and patterns of biology evolve to complex experiences and
populations and behaviors and ecosystems.

SOCIAL
The most basic proto-social activity reaches back to sex and child rearing
between separate individuals of a species. This progresses to biological
fields such as kin selection and reciprocal altruism -- these are the
theoretical components of social interactions for most animals.  Animal
societies can emerge where what is best for the group corresponds with what
is best for the individual.

Humans take this to a completely different level though due to our ability to
replicate behaviors and ideas.  As such, the thoughts and interactions and
organizations and behaviors of men and women can themselves evolve.  People
can cooperate in different ways and accomplish tasks that could never be
conceived by a solitary person.  A few men can divide tasks to cooperate to
catch a rabbit, and a society of millions of men can build Boeing 747s. These
behaviors and learnings and roles and moral patterns can evolve, and the
direction of social evolution appears to be toward win/win interaction.
 Larger and larger groups learn to cooperate in more and more mutually
beneficial means. Successful patterns are codified into mores, myths,
stories, taboos, religions, laws and records.  The 'negative face' of quality
at this level involves exploitation and destructive competition (both
biological and social) between individuals and societies/organizations. The
positive side involves learning better ways to cooperate to mutual advantage.

Societies are not only more complex and dynamic, they can evolve less
destructively than biology.  Life evolves only through the death or survival
of the pattern itself -- the organism. Human societies can evolve through
trial and error and through learning and adopting better behaviors.  (Note:
human societies can also evolve destructively or biologically)

INTELLECTUAL
The ability to identify, respond and share useful patterns known as knowledge
goes back into the preceding two levels. At its most basic level, I would
argue that there is a kernel of intellectual element in both children and
even non humans.  The power of the intellectual level emerges out of the
complex interaction of knowledge that is applied to the process of knowledge
itself.  Knowledge can be used to better store knowledge, to better critique
knowledge, to better transmit knowledge.  But such fields as logic, math,
science and the arts involve a positive sum interaction that explodes into a
never-ending expansion of knowledge.  It has values and emergent properties
that are not at all apparent in the base social level out of which it
emerges, and to which it can be applied for dramatic results.

The intellectual level is the most dynamic of all the levels.  Competition --
though more intense than ever in this level -- is competition of ideas. In
its pure sense, nothing has to be destroyed, and every theory, good or bad,
can lead to more knowledge. (Even a bad idea can instruct what to avoid)

If it is not too late, please let me know your thoughts,

Rog