> > ALAN
> >
> > Quantum theory would suggest that we have no reason to think that the
> > objective material world existed prior to observation/experience.
> > Depak Chopra: "Behind us is a ceaslessly flowing quantum "soup" of
> > possibilities/probabilities...and like King Midas...when we turn around
> > we solidify that "soup".....creating the material world...."
> > This suggests the rock is not there prior to noticing it....and one
would
> > be hard-pressed to prove otherwise.. :o)
> To Alan:
> Like I said, you could measure its age to prove otherwise. You don't think
> you re-create the contents of your living room every time you enter it, do
> you? Or blink? It seems a very dubious practice to take the outcomes of
> quantum events involving tiny particles and extrapolate this to
> macroscopic chairs and sofas that go in and out of existence depending on
> whether someone is looking at them.
> Glenn
 ALAN

A "dubious practice"?....of course!....but then the jest of QM shakes
determinism to it's core....The "Many Worlds" interpretation of QM
would have you believe that at every second all choices are actualized
and split off in new universes...very strange..(but string theory
holds it as possible...as it DOES work..but in a minimum of 10
dimensions)
..but quantum mechanics....
has I feel, already proven that the objective world we see is not
what it appears to be.  The fact that it seems "dubious",  to me,
makes me personally feel I'm on the right track.  Maybe "God's"
sense of humor.  Whatever all this philosophizing leaves us with...
we have to be intelligent enough to realize that whatever the
answer to these questions is...it is probably beyond comprehension.
"The universe is not only stranger than you think...it is
stranger than you CAN think..."
I try to keep in mind that they answers probably lie in the
domain of the ridiculous.  Again...dubious?....I hope so!!! :o)
PS   I feel it is a mistake to think that the micro does not
apply to the macro-world....