The mapping process starts with metonymy, part-for-whole distinctions that
are accumulated and turned into a map. At that point the map becomes a
filter, we give up personal experience to use a group derived filtering
system working on the principle that bigger is better. The price is that we
have surrendered direct, LOCAL, experience for a metaphor, the map.

Faith in gods etc act to leave one in the local, literal interpretations, to
keep the mind of child. Science acts to look BEHIND expressions, to ask HOW,
WHY etc and so attempt to be more precise and that price is the journey from
metonymy to metaphor.

The benefit of the metaphor is that if it is *really* good then it gets
taken literally, map becomes territory and with that comes a dynamic, a
speeding up in group development. BUT the metaphor is then analysed using
the same methods and it is seen to be 'out of date', a new paradigm emerges
and the whole routine is repeated.

Zen, Taoism etc tries to get back to direct experience every now and then;
to drop the FILTERS.

Chris.