Hi elephant and Marco,

ELEPHANT
> We're stretching this 'road' metaphor.
>
> On the one hand a road is an option, something we may choose.
> Marco *seems* to be saying that all options are as good as each other - that
> might be a misreading but the tone of it is a source of our disagreement.
>
> On the other hand a road is a something that starts at A and leads
> invariably to B, so that if I stand by the Rubicorn and take one road I go
> to Rome, and if I take the other I don't.
[snip]
> My worry is that in mixing up options and bridges over the Rubicorn we risk
> saying quite accidentally that it is as well to go to Rome as not to go.
> That's where I can't agree.  In this, there is the one road.

MARCO
> > If a road to truth is just that - your travel towards the truth, this
yields
> > many good roads - at least in that the path you have to travel depends on
> > where you start, even if we are all going to Rome. And we happen to begin
our
> > journey from a different place each, don't we? Isn't this beginning
defined by
> > what we understood (remember) and what we did not understand as yet? So we
> > have different specific goals, different roads, for each of us.

Let me interject that the part of any road one truly knows is the section one
is on. If you want to go to Rome, you need to have a good plan/map to get you
there.

Marco's point is that there may be several alternative routes.
Elephants point is that some routes are right, some are wrong, and won't get
you to Rome.

I wish to make the point that one may (perhaps accidentally) find a road that
leads to somewhere better than Rome.

Jonathan