From: elephant [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 17 May 2001 21:15
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MD "friends"

What does 'platonic love' refer to?

I think it may have something to do with Socrates corrupting the youth by refusing to sleep with them.  Or, rather, than he consents to sleep with his male admirers but then goes and does just that, snore snore, to the consternation of his suitors.  I think the relevant dialogues are the Phaedrus and the Symposium.  Particularly the Symposium.  Both are a discussion of the various loves, and both talk about the relation of these to sex.  Both also set this notion going about there being 'higher' love than physical relations, which (to judge from the actions of the greek gods) was not a very current idea at the time.

I'll bet that's where christianity get's it's mindset from too.  Se Augustine.  Also C.S. Lewis 'The four loves'.

Yours Puzzled, E.

(Following a substance awareness course I note that both 'elephant' and 'horse' are colloquial terms for illegal powders.  What can we do?  Drop the names?  Mount a campaign for the reclamation of our tongue?  Did we perhaps start this usage unknowingly?  Is any quadrapedal pseudonym safe?  And the quadrapeds?)