Hi Brian,

> >Marco:
> >Another thing I've noticed is that my cat *prefers* to sleep on clean
> >dresses, and on my bed when it's well arranged. Otherwise, if the bed is
> >all messed up, she uses to sleep on an old chair. In the past, another cat
> >had different fondnesses. I'd not point to that exactly as an appreciation
> >of *the art of bed arranging*, just I think that many mammals sometimes
> >seem to demonstrate a primitive sense of beauty. As well as they
> >demonstrate a primitive capacity (from our viewpoint) of thought.
> >
> >What the sense of beauty *is*, it's a difficult question. Surely, beauty
> >has the capacity to generate emotions; so, maybe, when we follow beauty we
> >are also searching for emotions. By means of art, this search becomes
> >active and not passive: it's an attempt to investigate and dominate and
> >communicate certain aspects of reality (let's not forget that emotions are
> >perfectly real).

Brian:
> At what point does "beauty" and "quality" become different? To me it seems
> as though you are using the two terms interchangably here. When your cat
> prefers a made-up bed to a messed-up bed, it is making a quality-assertion
> for itself. I'm sure there are many cats out there that prefer messed-up to
> made-up, and is a result of their past static PoVs.
>
> But then, isn't that what art is aspiring to, Quality?
>
> Are beauty and quality different?

Marco:
Well,  beauty is a type of Quality. We all prefer to live in a beautiful house,
rather than in a humid cave....  But it is not Quality itself.  Truth, for
example is another type.  And down to the other levels, there are other types of
value: social fame; biological health.....  and so on

In few words Quality is more inclusive. [Of course, if Quality is reality!]

Back to beauty, here is (part of) my original answer to the definition of art
Platt offered. I'm not anymore completely in agreement with what I wrote six
months ago,  anyway it still works....

Thanks for your questions
Marco