This comment relates to exceptional undergraduate students with whom you
work and who might be considering graduate school. The following comments
are unofficial and generally "off the top of my head", so I cannot
guarantee there are no factual errors within. None are intentional. -ds

===
I am a faculty member in the Department of Scientific Computing at Florida
State University (https://www.sc.fsu.edu/ - we are in the process of
overhauling our rather uninspiring website). Our department provides a
rather unique, interdisciplinary opportunity to combine math and
computation and domain-specific knowledge to address issues across a wide
range of research fields.

Specialties within our department include: astrophysics, ground-water
modeling, fluid mechanics, population genetics, phylogenetics,
computational geometry, morphometrics, medical imaging, optimization,
materials modeling, bio-membrane modeling, game design, etc.

In my own lab (http://morphlab.sc.fsu.edu/), current projects include
applied and methodological work on: non-linear image analysis, artificial
cranial deformation, surface analysis, visualization and graphics,
functional morphology, animal vocalization, visual searching, integration
of complex data types, age-at-death estimation, classification methods,
motion analysis, etc. These projects have direct application (and often
collaborators in): anthropology (paleo, forensic, physical), archaeology,
art history, evolutionary biology, ecology and conservation, safety and
industrial hygiene, design, medicine, etc.

The department offers several Master's and Ph.D. degree tracks. Both thesis
and coursework Master's tracks are available. Doctoral students are
required to take a preliminary comprehensive qualifying exam.

The design of our programs not only allow, but require, taking graduate
courses outside of our department. So, for instance, one could take
advanced evolutionary biology in the Bio department or courses in Anthro,
Stats, Math, Earth_Ocean_and_Atmospheric_Science, Art, Criminology, Music,
etc.

I think someone interested in pursuing a doctoral degree in a more
traditional field, like anthropology, evolutionary biology, ecology, or
many others, would be well-served by getting a Scientific Computing
Master's degree. A strong background in a traditional field and a M.Sc.
from our department would surely move a candidate to the top of almost any
doctoral-program admissions list in these areas. Furthermore, if such a
student were to continue to develop and apply their sci-comp skills in
their doctoral work, they would be well-positioned to rise to the top of
their respective field, as quantitative and computational skills in many
areas are often rather lacking. In fact, it is not that far fetched to
imagine someone with a freshly minted Ph.D., who was not utterly sick of
coursework, coming to our department to add a very marketable skill set to
their résumé.

What would be required for success in our program are good, but basic,
backgrounds in math and programming and a passion for at least one of
these. That is, top grades in related coursework (calculus, stats, a
programming course) usually required as part of a science degree should be
sufficient. One can make up a deficiency in one of these areas, but it
would be difficult, I think, to master all of them with no recent
background. As an example, one of our current top, award-winning graduate
students did not know (or had completely forgotten) linear algebra when he
arrived, but had done previous work in modeling and programming.

I can attest to the outstanding quality of our faculty in the realm of
teaching. My office is near the computer classroom, and I regularly listen
in the lectures. I would love to have had the opportunity to take courses
from these instructors in the course of my career.

This posting is certainly not a guarantee of acceptance into our program or
of research support of students from traditional fields. We have a limited
number of slots depending upon graduation, current funding, etc. - probably
6 or so for next year. But, we make no distinction between Master's and
doctoral students in our admissions and generally try to provide financial
support. I would expect there could be a place for an exceptional student
with interest in a traditionally less-computational field.

These are just comments and suggestions I expect might be useful to some of
your undergraduates. Please pass them along as you see fit. Interested
students could also contact me, but they may need to be repetitive and
persistent as I probably average 40+ emails per day - I am sure many of you
can relate.

-Dennis E. Slice

--
Department of Scientific Computing, The Florida State University
Department of Anthropology, University of Vienna, Austria