Hi Zack,

Adding to Carmelo's great suggestions I'll just add that I've posted a
tutorial on collecting 2D landmark and curve data from photographs using my
R package StereoMorph
(http://home.uchicago.edu/~aolsen/software/digitizing.shtml). The
digitizing app includes the ability to scale your landmark data using
either a checkerboard (including automated detection) or ruler.

As far as cameras, I use a Nikon D5000 with an 18-55 mm zoom lens. I always
zoom the lens to 55 mm and then move the camera to adjust the frame size.
At 55 mm, the distortion is on the order of microns ie negligible (I
verified this using automated detection of corners in a checkerboard
pattern). Always great to check this in advance just to make sure.

Another advantage of a solid background (like black velvet) is that it
reduces the file size of the image (noise increases file size). This can be
nice if you are taking a lot of photos. Cheap black velvet is easy to get
at a fabric store.

Hope that helps,
Aaron