Dear Ms. Llopis,

It is my understanding  that you are correct, Brownian evolution is a
generally considered an assumption in PIC (see Felsenstein, J. 1985.
Phylogenies and the comparative method.  American Naturalist 125: 1-15).
Its inclusion is important to Felsenstein's formulation because it allows
the procedure to yield statistically independent variables, which is an
assumption in nearly all statistical analyses.

Hope this helps,

James Soda