As an exploratory technique, PCA makes no distributional assumptions; it is
used to explore the empirical distribution of the data. The sample does not
need to be balanced with regard to sex or other grouping variables, but
larger groups have a stronger effect on the PCA than smaller groups.

The origin of the coordinate system is arbitrary. However, many software
packages center the data so that the origin (i.e. where the axes intersect)
equals the mean value.